Two babies die in infant hammocks, product recalled
Amby Baby told the CPSC that a 4-month-old girl in Lawrenceville, Ga., died in one of the hammocks in June and a 5-month-old boy from Gresham, Ore., died in August.
Babies are put at risk of suffocating from the side-to-side shifting or tilting of the hammock, the CPSC said in its announcement. The the infant can roll and get trapped against the hammock's fabric or mattress pad and suffocate.
About 24,000 of the Chinese-made infant hammocks were sold online for about $250 between January 2003 and October 2009.
Those who have the hammocks are urged to stop using them immediately until a repair kit is obtained from Amby Baby and the product is fixed.
To contact Amby Baby, call 866-544-9721 weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern Time or go to the company's Web site.