The top ten irritating phrases to avoid at the office
Oxford University has compiled a list of the top ten irritating phrases that people use. The compiled the list by monitoring the use of phrases in a database which included books, paper, magazines, broadcast, the Internet and other sources.
Many annoyingly over-used phrases begin as office lingo, such as 24/7 and "synergy," and then enter the mainstream. Regardless of their origin, you will have more credibility if you avoid the following:
- At the end of the day...Come on, can't you think of a more original way to summarize your thoughts?
- Fairly unique...Not even sure what this one means.
- I personally...Of course, it is you. You are the one talking. Who else would it be?
- At this moment in time...It is the only moment we are at, so why do you have to point it out?
- With all due respect...Anyone listening knows that the next words out are a criticism so just get to the point.
- Absolutely...Overused for emphasis.
- It's a nightmare...A lot of things fall in this category.
- Shouldn't of...Sounds like censoring to me.
- 24/7. Can we all agree to bury this one?
- It's not rocket science...Most of us do not even know what rocket science is.
I would like to add a few of my own:
- Thinking outside of the box.
- Perfect Storm
- Pushing the envelope
I'm sure you can come up with a few of your favorites to add to the list. But if you want to be taken seriously, you will avoid the cliches that should be banned from the English language.