By Jacquelyn Smith
This week is the most popular time for job seekers to apply for new gigs, according to Monster.com.
The lucky ones will be invited in for interviews, and will probably be asked questions like "What's your biggest weakness?" and "Why do you want to work here?"
Another common one people should prepare for: "Why should we hire you?"
Lynn Taylor, a national workplace expert and the author of "Tame Your Terrible Office Tyrant: How to Manage Childish Boss Behavior and Thrive in Your Job," says this question is likely the single best opportunity you have to seal the deal in the job interview. "But because it's so broad, it can also lead you down a slippery slope if you're not concise."
When interviewers ask this question, they want you to convince them that you're the best candidate for the job. To ace the response, you must do your homework on the employer and job description so you can align your skills and experience with their specific needs.
"This is an opportunity to say, 'You need X, and I am the best person for the job because of Y.' You want to convey that not only are you a safe choice with minimal risk — but also a great choice," says Taylor.
Before you arrive at the job interview, you should have a general sense of how to communicate this, she suggests. "One useful technique is to have three major points in mind on why you're an excellent choice.
This is a default framework you can come back to in the interview to sell yourself. It will become more refined as the interview proceeds."
Here are five tips for answering the common "Why should we hire you?" interview question:
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Rates Could Rise After the Fed Meets. Lock in Now.
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- 6 Reasons We Call This The Best Cash Back Card of 2021
- Say Goodbye to Debt: 0% intro APR until 2022
- Making a Big Purchase Soon? These Cards Are For You
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program