6 Tips For Dressing For Casual Friday
An estimated 55 percent of the nation's companies have some sort of casual Friday policy, according to the Society for Human Resource Management. But sometimes figuring out the definition of casual can be quite difficult. Nicole Williams, author and founder of WORKS by Nicole Williams, tells AOL that Casual Fridays can be an especially slippery slope for women simply because they do have so many more options when it comes to wardrobe choice. But here are a few tips for everyone on how to dress for casual Friday and not get written up by HR. Casual Friday doesn't mean people's eyes stop working.
1. Do not wear anything sheer. Even though sheer fabrics are a big trend this season, do not opt for see-through in the office. You may think your body is awesome and it may be, but your coworkers don't need to see it.
2. Avoid short shorts. In the summer this is especially tempting, but you need to check with your company's dress code rules for Casual Friday if you are even allowed to wear shorts. And even if you are permitted, choosing your Daisy Duke butt shorts is probably not the way to go. For women, opt for shorts that at least go past your mid-thigh, if not longer. For men, try something fancier than cargo shorts. A nice pair of Bermuda shorts can be good.3. Do not crop it like it's hot. Crop tops may be super chic right now, but the workplace and your naval should never be associated with each other, no matter how many crunches you do.
4. Watch for any graphics. You may like to sport a tee that has a message on it, but that message better not be offensive to anyone--which means that you probably want to steer clear of anything having to do with religion or politics or any message with an expletive in it. And be prepared for everyone to ask about whatever your shirt says if you wear it. In other words, you may want to save it for the weekend.
5. Flip-flops. This one is often debated, but traditionally flip-flops are considered a beach shoe. And with such a big variety of sandals available these days (even Birkenstocks may be better here), save these for the shore.
6. Do look at Casual Fridays as an opportunity. If you want to move up in your company, look at Casual Fridays as an opportunity to show off your spectacular style without compromising your respect. "Casual Friday is your opportunity to wear things that are more on trend, more funky," Williams told AOL. Wear the patterned blouse or the little booties, and for guys, maybe throw on a brightly colored polo. Take your style up a notch, just don't go crazy.