Its no secret that Final Fantasy games (and JRPGs in general) typically have complicated and sometimes non-sensical plots-- sometimes so complicated that you as the player are forced to explain the story to yourself. Because of this many theories are coined and some of them are more convincing than others. Today we're talking about possibly the most convincing of all-- Squall is Dead.
The plot of Final Fantasy 8 revolves around Squall Leonhart, a mercenary on a mission to defeat the evil Sorceress Edea. At the end of disc one, Squall and his friends face Edea on a parade float in Deling City. After the fight, when Edea seems defeated, she conjures an enormous ice shard and propels it through Squall's chest. This should have killed him right?
Wrong. He wakes up without a scratch in a dessert prison. How is this possible? Well, the Squall is Dead Theory speculates that Squall actually died by Edea's ice shard at the end of disc one and everything that occurs after that point is actually a dream.
According to the official website,The "dream" is basically an extension of the "your life flashes before your eyes" concept. The entire dream takes only a matter of seconds, but for Squall is passes in real time. For Squall, it's about the endless possibilities he could have seen realized. Squall explores the questions that were raised on the first disc but he was not able to answer in his lifetime.
There is a ton of supporting evidence that has been found throughout disc 2, but I was never more convinced than after I defeated the Final Boss, Ultemicia and she started saying some weird stuff...
"Reflect on your... Childhood..."
"Your sensation... Your words... Your emotions..."
"Time... It will not wait..."
"No matter... ...how hard you hold on. It escapes you..."
I take this as Squall not being able to let go of his life and "move on" to the afterlife. In the video below you can watch the entire first part of the ending and see for yourself.
For the complete analysis of the Squall is Dead Theory, click here.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Didn’t get what you wanted on Prime Day? Try these 7 designer sales…
- Mom tells sister her 4-year-old rainbow baby ‘isn’t special’: ‘[He] is…
- Mom has brilliant solution for kids who get carsick on trips: ‘Omg I n…
- Want To Travel Practically Free? (Get 100k points fast)
- Do You Know the Fastest Way to Pay Off Credit Card Debt?
- Pay No Interest Until Nearly 2023 With A Better Credit Card