Last week, the Wall Street Journal was at Gamescon; one of the largest gaming conventions in the world. While there, Sven Grundberg posed questions about the role of women as both gamers, characters in the gaming world, and as members of the gaming industry.
The thing is, while gaming culture is portrayed as a "man's world" recent studies point to women making up 45% of the entire gaming population and make up 46% of the most frequent game purchasers. The question is less about "how can video game makers attract women" and more about "how can video game makers accurately reflect their player base." In a world where half of your target audience is under represented in a fair light, it is obvious why this false premise may arise.
In a lot of ways, the game industry has taken a turn for the better. The Last of Us, an award winning game by Naughty Dog, was heralded for having a strong female character in a leading role. Despite the footage shown at GamesCon, a lot of companies have moved away from having "booth babes" represent their brand.
There are strides that can be made to improve a better representation of women in games. The burden for that, however, rests solely on the shoulders of game designers who seem out of touch over with who their player base is.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 1.99% APR (15 yr)
- Need Cash for Your Fixer Upper? Use Your Home's Equity!
- Experts Recommend Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Everything you need to know about Brooklinen’s alternative Prime Da…
- Dad’s impression of Elmo is spot-on, and his baby is totally here for …
- Mom’s all-natural bath remedy for restless babies is brilliant: ‘How i…
- Cards Charging 0% Interest Until Nearly 2023
- You Could Earn 100K Points With This Astonishing Travel Card
- Get Financially Fit with these Credit Cards