Why Shares of Chiquita Brands International, Inc. Were Shining Today
Although we don't believe in timing the market or panicking over market movements, we do like to keep an eye on big changes -- just in case they're material to our investing thesis.
What: Shares of Chiquita Brands International, Inc. were looking ripe today, climbing as much as 19% after announcing a merger with Fyffes, a produce company based in Ireland.
So what: The merger will create a new company known as ChiquitaFyffes, 50.7% of which will be owned by Chiquita shareholders and the remaining 49.3% to be owned by Fyffes shareholders, though the two brands will continue to operate separately. The companies said the combination would create the No. 1 banana company globally, with a 14% market share, and would lead to $40 million in annual cost savings and synergies and allow further opportunities to improve operational leverage.
Now what: The deal will be subject to the usual regulatory scrutiny, but analysts expect the merger to go through as the companies primarily deal in different parts of the world, Chiquita in North America and Fyffes in Europe. Investors on both sides clearly seem to approve of the merger as Fyffes' shares jumped 44% on the news, but several analysts said the deal is reflective of weakness in the industry and could prompt further consolidation. Merging two corporate cultures is also sometimes rougher than expected. Chiquita and Fyffes expect the deal to close by the end of the year.
The best way to invest
One of the dirty secrets that few finance professionals will openly admit is the fact that dividend stocks as a group handily outperform their non-dividend-paying brethren. The reasons for this are too numerous to list here, but you can rest assured that it's true. However, knowing this is only half the battle. The other half is identifying which dividend stocks in particular are the best. With this in mind, our top analysts put together a free list of nine high-yielding stocks that should be in every income investor's portfolio. To learn the identity of these stocks instantly and for free, all you have to do is click here now.
The article Why Shares of Chiquita Brands International, Inc. Were Shining Today originally appeared on Fool.com.
Jeremy Bowman has no position in any stocks mentioned, and neither does The Motley Fool. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2014 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.