By Kelly Hartog
The 2013 USC Casden Multifamily Forecast projects two more years of rent increases as the region's rental housing market continues to absorb units faster than it completes them. Between the second quarters of 2012 and 2013, the four Southern California apartment markets -- Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego counties and the Inland Empire -- completed almost 6,700 new units, a three-year high. However, it absorbed nearly 11,900 units during the same period.
USC Lusk Center for Real Estate Director Richard Green, who along with USC's Vincent Reina and the California Association of Realtors' Selma Hepp authored the study, says the multifamily market is being fueled by deteriorating home affordability. "Despite marked improvements in employment and the overall economy, the rapid increase in home prices and interest rates are pricing first-time homebuyers out of the local market," Green said. "As more and more of these households become renters instead of buyers, we will continue to see fewer vacancies and higher rents."
Read the rest of the story at Santa Monica Patch.
More about renting:
Cities Where Rental Dollars Stretch Further
U.S. Homeownership Rate Falls to 17-Year Low As More Rent
Craigslist Rental Scam Reportedly Strikes Again, Fleecing Family of 5
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find homes for rent.
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
The Latest from our Partners
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- Ready to Withdraw from Your Retirement Accounts? Do it in This Order
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 1.979% APR.
- Rates Could Rise After the Fed Meets. Lock in Now.
- If You're Current or Former Military, You'd Better Read This
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Spend $500, get $200 fast with this top card
- Say goodbye to debt: 0% intro APR until 2022
- Results are in: Best cards of 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program