The American practice of paying waitstaff with tips has lately come under criticism, with some complaining that too often waiters and waitresses are mistreated. Toni Christina Jenkins, a waitress at a Red Lobster in Tennessee, might well agree, as the 19-year-old claims that she received a racist message scrawled on the bill -- instead of a tip, and she uploaded a photo of as proof.
According to the receipt (she uploaded a photo of it to Facebook), one of the customers had written 'none' in the tip line, and the epithet "n-----" beneath it. Darden Restaurants, owner of Red Lobster, among other chains, is investigating. "This kind of language is completely disgusting and has no place in our restaurant," said Darden spokesperson Mike Bernstein, via email.
The receipt has since gone viral, having been picked up by sites like Gawker and Reddit. Of course, it helped that Jenkins added some commentary to her Facebook post. "God Bless America, land of the free and home of the low class racists of Tennessee," she wrote.
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Take Control Of Your Finances With These Cards
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast with This Top Card
- Want to Travel Practically Free? This Card Is For You
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold