The American practice of paying waitstaff with tips has lately come under criticism, with some complaining that too often waiters and waitresses are mistreated. Toni Christina Jenkins, a waitress at a Red Lobster in Tennessee, might well agree, as the 19-year-old claims that she received a racist message scrawled on the bill -- instead of a tip, and she uploaded a photo of as proof.
According to the receipt (she uploaded a photo of it to Facebook), one of the customers had written 'none' in the tip line, and the epithet "n-----" beneath it. Darden Restaurants, owner of Red Lobster, among other chains, is investigating. "This kind of language is completely disgusting and has no place in our restaurant," said Darden spokesperson Mike Bernstein, via email.
The receipt has since gone viral, having been picked up by sites like Gawker and Reddit. Of course, it helped that Jenkins added some commentary to her Facebook post. "God Bless America, land of the free and home of the low class racists of Tennessee," she wrote.
The Latest from our Partners
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- Ready to Withdraw from Your Retirement Accounts? Do it in This Order
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 1.979% APR (15 yr)
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- Little-Known VA Option Could Save Veterans Thousands
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- 4 Cards With Massive Sign Up Bonuses (Get $200 Fast)
- Pay No Interest Until 2022 With A Better Credit Card
- Getting approved for 1 of these cards means you have excellent credit
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program