"What if someone you never met, someone you never saw, someone you never knew was the only someone for you?" That's the idea behind -- and tagline to -- 1993's romantic comedy "Sleepless in Seattle," which found huge financial and cultural success in improbably uniting characters portrayed by Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, who at the film's start live on opposite coasts.
Who knows how many real-life romances "Sleepless in Seattle" inspired? But according to a report from KING-TV in Seattle, it provided a real-life happy ending for property values in the neighborhood where Hanks' character resides. And the houseboat used as its location "still attracts tourists looking to see where Tom Hanks' character lived."
The movie also inspired a real-life bi-coastal love affair -- between a man, a woman and a piece of real estate -- that ended with a New Jersey couple buying and renovating the floating home. The KING video above describes their story and offers a rare, up-close glimpse inside the unassuming houseboat that's become a tourist landmark.
But Seattle's romantic locales don't stop there: On the wilder side, the city in the Northwest is also the location of Escala, the luxury condominium building that's a setting for the erotic best-seller "Fifty Shades of Grey." But to get a glimpse inside that exclusive residence, where apartments have been selling for $400,000 on up, you might need to get pre-qualified.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 1.99% APR. Can you save?
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Want To Travel Practically Free? (Get 100k points fast)
- Do You Know the Fastest Way to Pay Off Credit Card Debt?
- Pay No Interest Until Nearly 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program