Move over OUYA, there's a new Android console maker in town. And unlike OUYA, this particular entrant won't need to go to Kickstarter to raise funds for its machine. That's because the maker in question is Google, owner of the Android OS and one of the largest and most ubiquitous tech companies around.
Google has said nothing officially about its console ambitions, but sources close to the situation have told the Wall Street Journal that it is indeed in the works – and that its development is being spurred in part by fears that Apple is readying a video game console of its own.
That's fitting, as building a dedicated box to control all parts of the Android game ecosystem is a particularly Apple-esque move. Despite Google's mixed track record when it ventures from software to hardware, it makes perfect sense to cut out the middleman and keep the entire gaming pie for itself. It's a rapidly expanding pie too. While mobile games on iOS have a big lead on those found on Google Play, Android gaming is growing at a much faster rate.
Google has also seen OUYA do some of its dirty work, testing the waters for an Android-based console. Regardless of the final verdict on the crowdfunded gaming cube, its mere existence could be the proof of concept that Google needs to travel down the same path.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 1.99% APR (15 yr)
- Need Cash for Your Fixer Upper? Use Your Home's Equity!
- Experts Recommend Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Everything you need to know about Brooklinen’s alternative Prime Da…
- Dad’s impression of Elmo is spot-on, and his baby is totally here for …
- Mom’s all-natural bath remedy for restless babies is brilliant: ‘How i…
- Cards Charging 0% Interest Until Nearly 2023
- You Could Earn 100K Points With This Astonishing Travel Card
- Get Financially Fit with these Credit Cards