Microsoft has removed the fee associated with Xbox 360 title updates, according to a report from Eurogamer. Instead of granting a one-time free-of-charge update, developers may now submit subsequent updates for free. However, Microsoft reserves the right to issue a charge if a developer is deemed to "be making an excessive number of re-submissions due to an update failing certification."
The change in policy apparently applies to both digital XBLA games as well as full retail games. No doubt this is a major win for smaller developers like Phil Fish, an independent developer who contended that he couldn't afford to pay a second time for certification to fix an issue with corrupting some save files (a result of the first patch).
While free patches are a step in the right direction for Microsoft, it's not the main issue indies like Fish have with the company; it's Microsoft's requirement that a developer have a publisher that Fish has a problem with.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- 5 Best Credit Cards For Consolidating Debt
- You'll Love Paying 0% Interest Until 2022
- 4 Cards With Massive Sign Up Bonuses (Get $200 Fast)