Young, broke and single? There's a city that's perfect for you, and you probably wouldn't guess it: Des Moines, Iowa. You might think that sounds boring, but locals say it's totally not.
Des Moines was listed in a new national survey among the 20 best cities for people who are young, broke and single. The survey was conducted by an advice website, MoneyUnder30. "There's all kinds of stuff going on here that didn't happen when I was a kid, which is awesome," resident Afton Crabtree told local TV station KCCI. Crabtree, who grew up in Des Moines, left for Denver years ago but returned to her hometown after finding that things were "a little expensive" in Denver.
"Cheap food, cheap beer and cheap thrills" were among the criteria for Money Under 30's list, which also included employment opportunities, the cost of living, and the number of single people ages 18 to 44. Des Moines ranked No. 8 on the list; Austin, Texas, came out on top. But Des Moines may be the city that sticks out the most.
"It was a boring city," Pete Jones, who founded the website DesMoinesIsNotBoring, told KCCI. "I lived here a long time and experienced it and really started turning the curve. Good jobs, good nightlife, good food." Watch the video above to see why locals say Des Moines is a great spot for the young, broke and single.
See more news about living single in a city:
Where Micro-Apartments Loom as Next Big Thing in Renting
Top 10 U.S. Rental Markets
City Sees a Backlash Against Tiny Apartments
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find homes for rent.
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Rates Could Rise After the Fed Meets. Lock in Now.
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- 6 Reasons We Call This The Best Cash Back Card of 2021
- Say Goodbye to Debt: 0% intro APR until 2022
- Making a Big Purchase Soon? These Cards Are For You
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program