Splunk Inc. Announces Fiscal First Quarter 2014 Financial Results
Splunk Inc. Announces Fiscal First Quarter 2014 Financial Results
Total Revenue Grows 54%; Company Raises Full Year Revenue Guidance
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Splunk Inc. (NAS: SPLK) , the leading software platform for real-time operational intelligence, today announced results for its fiscal first quarter ended April 30, 2013.
- Total revenue was $57.2 million, up 54% year-over-year.
- License revenue was $36.2 million, up 48% year-over-year.
- GAAP operating loss was $15.7 million or negative 27.4% of revenues.
- Non-GAAP operating loss was $5.3 million or negative 9.2% of revenues.
- GAAP loss per share was $0.16; non-GAAP loss per share was $0.06.
- Operating cash flow was $19.9 million with free cash flow of $18.6 million.
"We are off to a strong start in the first quarter and I'm pleased with our new customer acquisition and financial performance," said Godfrey Sullivan, Chairman and CEO. "Years of investment and product innovation have resulted in recognition that Splunk is disrupting the enterprise software space. In the security market, Splunk was recognized as a leader in the 2013 Gartner Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) Magic Quadrant and SC Magazine named Splunk Enterprise Best SIEM solution in North America and Best Enterprise Security Solution for Europe. In IT operations management, Gartner recognized Splunk as one of the fastest growing vendors in the category. And Fast Company named Splunk one of the world's most innovative companies and ranked Splunk as the number one innovator in big data. We will continue to invest heavily in our data platform, content and SaaS offerings to deliver customer success."
First Quarter 2014 and Recent Business Highlights
- Signed more than 350 new enterprise customers, ending the quarter with approximately 5,600 customers worldwide. Signed more than 70 new Splunk Storm® customers, ending the quarter with more than 200 Splunk Storm customers worldwide.
- New license customers include: Allconnect, Altstoff Recycling Austria AG, Arizona Department of Transportation, The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation, Baylor University, Department of Energy, Idaho State Tax Commission, Genesis Energy (ANZ), Kordia (ANZ), Level 3 Communications, Inc., Ministry of Presidential Affairs (UAE), Mission Australia, Mitsui Bussan Secure Directions, Inc. (APAC), NBNCo Limited (APAC), Nomura Securities CO LTD (APAC), Oregon State Lottery, The Qatar Computer Emergency Response Team (QCERT), Transaction Solutions (ANZ), VicTrack (APAC), Winn-Dixie.
- Expansion customers include: Arizona State University, Bank of New Zealand, Box, Inc., Blackrock Inc., Comcast Corporation, D. Swarovski & Co., Major League Baseball, Nanyang Technological University, NASA Johnson Space Center, Nordstrom, Novagalicia (NCG) Banco (Spain),Oregon Army National Guard, Orange France, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Riverbed Technology, ServiceNow, State of Texas - Health and Human Services, University of California Irvine, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Army.
- Announced the general availability (GA) of version 2.4 of the Splunk App for Enterprise Security. Splunk® Enterprise and the Splunk App for Enterprise Security are a security intelligence platform that helps organizations discover unknown threats in real time with out-of-the-box content, including searches, dashboards and visualizations that enable rich statistical analysis of machine data.
- Announced the GA of the Splunk App for Palo Alto Networks 3.0 to enable users to leverage their machine-generated big data to analyze risk, improve security posture and compliance and address a number of additional operational and regulatory concerns.
- Released the GA version of Splunk DB Connect to deliver real-time integration between Splunk Enterprise and relational databases.
- Released version 5.0 of the Splunk App for Windows, which delivers enterprise-class monitoring for Microsoft® Windows Server.
- Released the latest version of the Splunk App for HadoopOps to improve the ability to collect Hadoop metrics.
- Released the Splunk App for NetApp ONTAP to enable users to gain visibility into the NetApp storage system with Splunk.
- Released a new Splunk App for Symantec allowing users of Splunk Enterprise and Symantec to better monitor, investigate and eliminate endpoint threats as reported by Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP). This app contains real-time dashboards, panels and search fields to easily view and investigate SEP data.
- Released an update to the Splunk App for Blue Coat ProxySG which enables users of Splunk Enterprise and Blue Coat to better monitor, investigate and secure their Internet traffic as reported by Blue Coat ProxySG. This app contains real-time dashboards, panels and search fields to easily view and investigate ProxySG data.
- Splunk has been named a leader in the 2013 Gartner Magic Quadrant for SIEM. For the report, Gartner evaluated Splunk Enterprise and the Splunk App for Enterprise Security. Splunk Enterprise is used as a big data security intelligence platform by more than 2,000 organizations around the world.
- SC Magazine named Splunk Enterprise best SIEM solution in North America and Best Enterprise Security Solution for Europe.
- Fast Company named Splunk one of the World's Most Innovative Companies. Splunk is ranked fourth overall and also ranked the number one innovator in Big Data for "bringing big data to the masses."
- Splunk was named to the CRN Big Data 100 in the Business Analytics category.
- Received the 2013 North American New Product Innovation Award for Big Data Security Intelligence Solutions from Frost and Sullivan.
- Named as one of the San Francisco Bay Area's "Best Places to Work" by The San Francisco Business Times and Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal for a sixth consecutive year.
- Named Patricia B. Morrison to the company's Board of Directors. Ms. Morrison has been Executive Vice President of Customer Care Shared Services and Chief Information Officer for Cardinal Health since 2009.
- Named Declan Morris as vice president of IT and cloud operations and Dejan Deklich as vice president of cloud engineering.
The company is providing the following guidance for its fiscal second quarter 2014 (ending July 31, 2013):
- Total revenue is expected to be between $61 million and $63 million.
- Non-GAAP operating margin is expected to be between negative 4% and negative 6%.
The company is updating its previous guidance for its fiscal year 2014 (ending January 31, 2014):
- Total revenue is expected to be between $266 million and $274 million (was previously expected to be between $260 million and $270 million as of Feb. 28, 2013).
- Non-GAAP operating margin is expected to be approximately zero (unchanged from Feb. 28, 2013).
All forward-looking non-GAAP financial measures contained in this section "Financial Outlook" exclude estimates for stock-based compensation expenses and employer payroll tax expense related to employee stock plans.
While a reconciliation of non-GAAP guidance measures to corresponding GAAP measures is not available on a forward-looking basis, the company has provided a reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP financial measures in the financial statement tables for its fiscal first quarter 2014 non-GAAP results included in this press release.
Conference Call and Webcast
Splunk's executive management team will host a conference call today beginning at 1:30 p.m. PT (4:30 p.m. ET) to discuss the company's financial results and business highlights. Interested parties may access the call by dialing (866) 501-1535. International parties may access the call by dialing (216) 672-5582. A live audio webcast of the conference call will be available through Splunk's Investor Relations website at http://investors.splunk.com/events.cfm. A replay of the call will be available through June 6, 2013 by dialing (855) 859-2056 and referencing Conference ID# 57800854.
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including statements regarding Splunk's revenue and non-GAAP operating margin targets for the company's fiscal second quarter and fiscal year 2014 in the paragraphs under "Financial Outlook" above and other statements regarding momentum in the company's business, growth in the number of new customers, existing customer usage, expansion of Splunk software use cases and product investments and developments. There are a significant number of factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from statements made in this press release, including: Splunk's limited operating history, particularly as a relatively new public company; risks associated with Splunk's rapid growth, particularly outside of the U.S.; and general market, political, economic and business conditions.
Additional information on potential factors that could affect Splunk's financial results is included in the company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended January 31, 2013, which is on file with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Splunk does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking statements provided to reflect events that occur or circumstances that exist after the date on which they were made.
About Splunk Inc.
Splunk Inc. (NAS: SPLK) provides the engine for machine data™. Splunk® software collects, indexes and harnesses the machine-generated big data coming from the websites, applications, servers, networks, sensors and mobile devices that power business. Splunk software enables organizations to monitor, search, analyze, visualize and act on massive streams of real-time and historical machine data. 5,600 enterprises, universities, government agencies and service providers in over 90 countries use Splunk Enterprise to gain Operational Intelligence that deepens business and customer understanding, improves service and uptime, reduces cost and mitigates cyber-security risk. Splunk Storm™, a cloud-based subscription service, is used by organizations developing and running applications in the cloud.
To learn more, please visit www.splunk.com/company.
Splunk, Splunk Storm and the engine for machine data are registered trademarks or trademarks of Splunk Inc., and/or its subsidiaries and/or affiliates in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other brand names, product names or trademarks belong to their respective holders.Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.© 2013 Splunk Inc. All rights reserved.
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS|
|(In thousands, except per share data)|
|Three Months Ended|
|April 30,||April 30,|
|Maintenance and services||21,035||12,805|
|Cost of revenues|
|Maintenance and services||6,612||4,136|
|Total cost of revenues 1, 2||6,681||4,265|
|Research and development 1, 2||14,464||8,103|
|Sales and marketing 1, 2||41,313||24,166|
|General and administrative 1, 2||10,446||6,846|
|Total operating expenses||66,223||39,115|
|Interest and other income (expense), net|
|Interest income (expense), net||61||(19||)|
|Other income (expense), net||(94||)||2|
|Change in fair value of preferred stock warrants||-||(14,087||)|
|Total interest and other income (expense), net||(33||)||(14,104||)|
|Loss before income taxes||(15,730||)||(20,293||)|
|Provision for income taxes||404||177|
|Basic and diluted net loss per share||$||(0.16||)||$||(0.71||)|
Weighted-average shares used in computing basic and diluted net loss per share
|1 Includes stock-based compensation expense as follows:|
|Cost of revenues||$||705||$||108|
|Research and development||3,043||895|
|Sales and marketing||4,322||858|
|General and administrative||1,765||811|
|2 Includes employer payroll tax on employee stock plans as follows:|
|Cost of revenues||$||22||$||-|
|Research and development||142||-|
|Sales and marketing||278||-|
|General and administrative||138||-|
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS|
|April 30,||January 31,|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||331,252||$||305,939|
|Accounts receivable, net||37,916||63,948|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||7,191||6,861|
|Total current assets||376,359||376,748|
|Property and equipment, net||12,695||13,205|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Accrued payroll and compensation||21,191||28,123|
|Accrued expenses and other liabilities||9,421||7,636|
|Deferred revenue, current portion||84,933||79,568|
|Total current liabilities||118,078||116,959|
|Deferred revenue, non-current||32,404||35,144|
|Other liabilities, non-current||1,055||798|
|Total non-current liabilities||33,459||35,942|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||(149||)||(135||)|
|Additional paid-in capital||344,856||328,277|
|Total stockholders' equity||237,977||237,544|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' equity||$||389,514||$||390,445|
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF CASH FLOWS|
|Three Months Ended|
|April 30,||April 30,|
|Cash Flows From Operating Activities|
|Adjustments to reconcile net loss to net cash provided by operating activities:|
|Depreciation and amortization||1,425||931|
|Change in fair value of preferred stock warrants||-||14,087|