Equinix Expands Relationship with DE-CIX in Frankfurt
Equinix Expands Relationship with DE-CIX in Frankfurt
Latest expansion sees one of the world's leading Internet Exchanges locate next generation infrastructure in three Equinix data centers in Frankfurt
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. & FRANKFURT, Germany--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Equinix, Inc. (NAS: EQIX) , the global interconnection and data center company, today announced it has expanded its relationship with DE-CIX, one of the world's largest Internet Exchanges, with the installation of new Points of Presence (PoPs) in three Equinix data centers in Frankfurt - Equinix FR4 and FR5 (now called Campus Kleyer) and FR2.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The new DE-CIX infrastructure follows uninterrupted growth in port and data volume demand from its members, and is the first phase in a higher-capacity network architecture for the Internet Exchange. In addition to providing increased colocation capacity for DE-CIX members, the new PoPs will offer enhanced performance and peering opportunities for network, content delivery and cloud service providers in Equinix's Frankfurt data centers.
- The move is the latest in a series of major steps forward in network density and capacity for Equinix in Frankfurt. In 2012, Equinix acquired Frankfurt-based ancotel GmbH, one of the world's most interconnected sites. Since then, ancotel's Frankfurt data center has been renamed Equinix FR5. It has been linked with Equinix FR4 via 864 fiber 3 km resilient connection delivered and priced as standard cross connects, to create Campus Kleyer.
- Campus Kleyer offers interconnection to more than 300 networks and 150 leading enterprises, cloud and IT service providers. A significant proportion of current DE-CIX traffic originates from Campus Kleyer customers, so the deployment of these new PoPs will ensure continuity of service and increase peering capacity for these customers. The deployment of a DE-CIX PoP in FR2 enables peering with the 200+ financial services firms already located within Equinix Frankfurt.
- With more than 7,100 physical cross-connects, Campus Kleyer is one of the most densely interconnected Equinix locations in the world. Customers have instant Layer 2 access to millions of German and international locations, as well as access to one of the world's largest SDH Exchanges. Colocation capacity in the 10,500 square meter campus is also growing rapidly with ongoing phased build-outs on both sites, making it an ideal long-term location for content customers to connect, peer and grow.
- Harald Summa , CEO of DE-CIX:
"It makes a great deal of sense to implement our next-generation architecture in Equinix's network-rich and fast-expanding Frankfurt facilities. Equinix can provide industry-leading colocation with room to grow for our members, and the company's connectivity-hungry customers can take advantage of the very latest peering infrastructure and opportunities."
- Jörg Rosengart , managing director of Equinix Germany:
"The expansion of our operating relationship with DE-CIX is the latest milestone in an exceptional year of growth in capacity and connectivity opportunities for our Frankfurt customers. The combination of our premium colocation capacity, carrier density and customer interconnections with next generation DE-CIX architecture will create one of the world's most important network concentration points."
Equinix, data center, IBX, colocation, DE-CIX, Frankfurt
Founded in 1995, DE-CIX in Frankfurt is the leading operator of Ethernet-based carrier and ISP interconnection worldwide. DE-CIX facilitates the exchange of IP traffic between networks through a distributed, failsafe and scalable infrastructure in various metro markets across Germany and in the Middle East. This includes broadband networks, hosting providers, content providers and cloud computing players. More than 500 ISPs from over 50 countries use DE-CIX to handle a large fraction of their Internet traffic and make DE-CIX the world's largest interconnection facility that supports peering. DE-CIX's customer base includes the world's leading players, such as 1&1, Akamai, China Telecom, Facebook, Google and Telefonica.
The company began its international growth with the takeover in 2012 of the operations of UAE-IX in Dubai, UAE, the country's first carrier-neutral interconnection and peering platform. DE-CIX is a wholly owned subsidiary of eco e.V., the world's largest Internet industry association. Further information is available at: www.de-cix.net.
Equinix, Inc. (NAS: EQIX) , connects more than 4,000 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world's most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 31 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
Equinix Media Contacts (Americas)
Melissa Neumann, +1 650-598-6098
GolinHarris for Equinix, Inc.
Liam Rose, +1 415-318-4380
Equinix Media Contact (EMEA)
Pari Faramarzi, +44 (0)20 8846 0710
DE-CIX Media Contact
Jaymie Scotto & Associates
+1 201-839-0177 x3
KEYWORDS: United States Europe North America California Germany
The article Equinix Expands Relationship with DE-CIX in Frankfurt originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.