The Howard Hughes Corporation Unveils Innovative New Summer Program at the South Street Seaport Begi
The Howard Hughes Corporation Unveils Innovative New Summer Program at the South Street Seaport Beginning Memorial Day Weekend 2013
Summer-Long Programming Will Feature Exciting New Retail, Culinary and Cultural Offerings
NEW YORK & DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Howard Hughes Corporation (NYS: HHC) , manager and developer of The South Street Seaport, today revealed an innovative new summer activation series it will launch over Memorial Day Weekend. Programs will include a diverse array of new retail, culinary and cultural events in conjunction with New York-centric activities that locals and visitors have come to enjoy each year. The series will commence in the historic cobblestone area and run through the entire summer season as part of the Seaport District's ongoing revitalization efforts to recover from Superstorm Sandy and as a precursor to the coming of the new South Street Seaport.
Fulton and Front Streets (Photo: Business Wire)
The summer series will be heavily promoted under the SEE/CHANGE marketing campaign, which will encourage locals and visitors to explore the new shopping, dining and entertainment options at The South Street Seaport. The Howard Hughes Corporation will launch a new website and announce new activities and events as they occur during the summer.
The summer line-up will include:
- POP-UP RETAIL CONTAINERS: A multi-story fleet of shipping containers on Fulton and Front Streets which will house up-and-coming retailers.
- SMORGASBAR: The popular beer, wine and spirits garden that debuted last summer at Smorgasburg will showcase a rotating collection of a dozen local food and beverage purveyors curated by Brooklyn Flea, the world-renowned flea and food markets.
- FRONT ROW CINEMA: The South Street Seaport will host a new weekly outdoor film series in the evenings called FRONT ROW CINEMA - at the intersection of Front and Fulton Streets - which will include a preview Memorial Day Weekend and then kick off July 7th for eight weeks. The film series will feature a diverse line-up of films with lawn and lounge chair seating for guests. The space will also be utilized for live music every Wednesday night in June.
- NEW SEASONAL RETAILERS: Dozens of new, seasonal retailers with their mix of artisanal fare along with businesses displaced by Hurricane Sandy will be showcased inside Pier 17 and at kiosks along the cobblestoned streets.
- ONGOING CULTURAL EVENTS: Numerous cultural events will occur during the summer; a small sampling includes the Seaport Music Festival (every Friday evening in June); 4Knots Music Festival (June 29); Fulton Stall Market (Saturdays and Sundays) and its accompanying Sound Bites music series (every Sunday in August). A variety of curated art exhibits will be created inside the new Cannon's Art Walk courtesy of the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council (LMCC), and Brightest Young Things will create new, thematic walking tours.
"The announcement of our SEE/CHANGE program marks the beginning of a rebirth at The South Street Seaport and the delivery of The Howard Hughes Corporation's promise to reenergize this iconic property. Our mission to build timeless places and memorable experiences will be indelibly imprinted on Lower Manhattan," said David R. Weinreb, Chief Executive Officer for The Howard Hughes Corporation. "We also want to thank the New York City Economic Development Corporation, the Mayor's Office of Events, Community Board 1 and The Downtown Alliance for their support and continued efforts towards restoring the vibrancy of our entire Seaport community."
In March, The Howard Hughes Corporation received unanimous approval from the New York City Council for the company's Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP) for a redeveloped South Street Seaport. The ULURP featured the complete transformation of Pier 17, including a vibrant, open rooftop with 40% more open space than exists today and a glass façade encompassing dynamic retail space filled with destination stores, restaurants and neighborhood shops. Larger open spaces on the pier level along with the new rooftop space - ideal for concerts, music and other entertainment events - will showcase breathtaking views of the city skyline, East River and Brooklyn Bridge. The contemporary design also draws from the site's history as a bustling marketplace and renowned maritime port with the goal to create an unmatched New York destination that is compelling to residents, local workers and tourists.
About South Street Seaport
South Street Seaport is comprised of historic buildings and a pavilion shopping mall located at Pier 17 on the East River in Lower Manhattan. Cobblestone streets, gas lamps, sailing ships and a museum make the South Street Seaport one of the most memorable experiences in New York City. Recently, Travel +Leisure named the Seaport as the 26th most visited tourist attraction in the world, tied with China's Great Wall and ahead of Paris' Louvre Museum.
About The Howard Hughes Corporation
The Howard Hughes Corporation owns, manages and develops commercial, residential and mixed-use real estate throughout the U.S. Our properties include master planned communities, operating properties, development opportunities and other unique assets spanning 18 states from New York to Hawaii. The Howard Hughes Corporation is traded on the New York Stock Exchange as HHC and is headquartered in Dallas, TX. For additional information about HHC, visit www.howardhughes.com.
Safe Harbor Statement
Statements made in this press release that are not historical facts, including statements accompanied by words such as "will," "believe," "expect," "enables," "realize", "plan," "intend," "transform" and other words of similar expression, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are based on management's expectations, estimates, assumptions and projections as of the date of this release and are not guarantees of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed or implied in these statements. Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially are set forth as risk factors in The Howard Hughes Corporation's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its Quarterly and Annual Reports. The Howard Hughes Corporation cautions you not to place undue reliance on the forward-looking statements contained in this release. The Howard Hughes Corporation does not undertake any obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements to reflect future events, information or circumstances that arise after the date of this release.
Aliza Rabinoff, 212-981-5157
Global Strategies Group
Alex Howe, 212-260-8813
The Howard Hughes Corporation
Caryn Kboudi, 214-741-7744
KEYWORDS: United States North America New York Texas
The article The Howard Hughes Corporation Unveils Innovative New Summer Program at the South Street Seaport Beginning Memorial Day Weekend 2013 originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.