Groundbreaking Clinical Trial Research on Genetic Basis of Children's Health Powered by Cloud Techno
Groundbreaking Clinical Trial Research on Genetic Basis of Children's Health Powered by Cloud Technology from Medidata and Digital Infuzion
Translational Research Institute at Inova Utilizing Joint Solution to Support Unique Clinical Study of Infants and Their Genomic Profile
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Inova Translational Medicine Institute, a not-for-profit research initiative bringing personalized medicine to the public, has chosen a joint solution by Medidata Solutions (NAS: MDSO) and Digital Infuzion to support a unique observational study involving the correlation between a child's genetic profile, their development and their long-term health. Together, Medidata and Digital Infuzion will deliver a web-based portal and cloud technology for collecting patient data, reviewing study progress and providing subjects with access to surveys and study information.
In a unique combination of genomics and clinical research, Inova is studying 2,500 families to analyze and predict the relationship between genetics and childhood developmental issues. The study will follow the infants for the first 1,000 days, starting in utero, and identify any health and development issues. By comparing these with the genetic profile of each family (child, mother and father), Inova hopes to identify specific genomic information associated with the medical issues, ultimately leading to new treatment and prevention pathways.
- "We needed not only a sophisticated research design, but also the appropriate technology in order to conduct this unique investigation of genetics and infant health," said John Niederhuber, MD, Inova EVP, CEO of the Inova Translational Medicine Institute and former director of the National Cancer Institute. "The clinical technology from Medidata and Digital Infuzion, both companies with strong reputations for supporting life science research with innovation, will allow for the smooth collaboration of the research team as well as the full participation of the parents in this study."
The joint solution will bring together Medidata Rave®—the industry-leading system for capturing, managing and reporting clinical research data—with Digital Infuzion's N of 1™ Health Research Platform—a technology service that provides tools for physicians and other care team members to collect, monitor and report on data and medical knowledge related to observational research, chronic disease and patient outcomes. Through a computer single sign-on, researchers will enter data about subject health, monitor participants and track study progress. Participating parents will complete surveys every six months via the portal and will have access to study updates and a library of materials to guide them through the three-year trial. Researchers can also generate immediate ad hoc reports aggregating real-time data from multiple sources, including patient health data from Rave and surveys, and genomic sequencing stored in the Amazon Cloud.
- "By combining clinical data with individual gene sequencing, Inova is truly pushing the boundaries of medical research to identify exciting new treatments and prevention pathways," said Glen de Vries, president of Medidata Solutions. "We have continually evolved the Medidata platform and its integrations with forward-thinking partners, such as Digital Infuzion, to create the innovations that enable novel research like this."
To support efficient study execution and insightful analysis, Inova required an intuitive system that made it easy for parents and site staff alike to enter patient observations and access study information, while also offering robust reporting that could generate dynamic, data-rich reports to enable insightful analysis.
- "Digital Infuzion is dedicated to optimizing knowledge sharing in clinical development and improving the research experience to enhance patient health," said Hemant Virkar, president of Digital Infuzion. "We're truly excited to once again partner with Medidata and leverage our combined technologies in support of Inova's visionary research."
Connect with Medidata:
- Tweet this: .@InovaHealth to power groundbreaking childhood genomics research with @Medidata and @DigitalInfuzion joint solution http://bit.ly/104uW1P
- Read our blog, Geeks Talk Clinical
- Follow us on Twitter: @Medidata
- Find us on LinkedIn
About Inova Translational Medicine Institute
Inova Translational Medicine Institute (ITMI) is a not-for-profit research institute delving into the genomics component of personalized medicine. ITMI is utilizing genomic and clinical information from patients to develop innovative methods for personalized patient care. Pilot studies at the Institute have generated a large genomic and clinical data set that can be used as pilot data in a variety of fields, from computational biology to psychology as well as more obvious biomedical research applications. ITMI's goal is to utilize information from its pilot studies to better understand and predict the onset of disease, leading to the implementation of preventive medicine based on the unique genomics of the individual patient.
About Digital Infuzion, Inc.
Digital Infuzion is a custom biomedical informatics solutions provider focused on developing and applying technology to empower decision making and accelerate insight for health, science and human understanding in the life sciences and clinical research industries. Working at the intersection of biology, medicine and technology, our deep understanding of these fields grants us the ability to offer the most innovative technology services and real-world solutions to the world's leading research centers and healthcare organizations, for the advancement of biomedical informatics.
About Medidata Solutions
Medidata Solutions is a leading global provider of cloud-based clinical development solutions that enhance the efficiency of customers' clinical trials. Medidata's advanced platform lowers the total cost of clinical development by optimizing clinical trials from concept to conclusion: from study and protocol design, trial planning and budgeting, site negotiation, clinical portal, trial management, randomization and trial supply management, clinical data capture and management, safety events capture, medical coding to business analytics. Our diverse life science customer base spans biopharmaceutical companies, medical device and diagnostic companies, academic and government institutions, CROs and other research organizations, and includes more than 20 of the top 25 global pharmaceutical companies as well as organizations of all sizes developing life-enhancing medical treatments and diagnostics.
KEYWORDS: United States North America New York
The article Groundbreaking Clinical Trial Research on Genetic Basis of Children's Health Powered by Cloud Technology from Medidata and Digital Infuzion originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.