Good news, movie fans: the stately, historic South Carolina house that starred in the '80s classic "The Big Chill" has hit the market for the first time in a quarter of a century. Tidalholm, as the estate is called, featured in the flick in no small way; it was here, among crazy-opulent crown moldings and picturesque verandas, that a group of college friends reunited for one weekend (of drama! intrigue! suspense!).
A bit of history not related to Glenn Close: the Italianate-style manse was originally built in 1853 as a summer retreat for cotton magnate Edgar Fripp, and was used by Union troops as a hospital during the Civil War. The Fripp family later regained the property in a roundabout way; ever fortuitously, it was sold at auction to someone who gave it right back to them. While Tidalholm worked a short shift as a guesthouse from the 1930s to the '70s (when it "entertained many artists, authors and statesmen," according to the Brokerbabble) today it's being sold as a private home by owners who want "it to go to another family," one of their relatives told The Beaufort Gazette. "It's time for it to be filled with dogs and children and cats."
Sure, the 7,381-square-foot interiors look a bit formal to let pets run wild-original flooring and moldings throughout the traditional center-hall layout, not to mention some formal, expensive-looking furniture-the outdoor space is rather spectacular, what with multiple wrap-around verandas, a two-bedroom guest cottage, a private dock, and oak trees.
See the listing for more details.
Find more homes for sale in Beaufort, S.C., or search listings in your area.
This article was originally published on Curbed.
See more on Curbed:
Bonkers 'Stack of Containers' Is Actually a Boring Old Bank
Inside Pam Anderson's Newly Restaged Malibu Beach House
This City's Slouching Towers Are Made Entirely of Gum
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Find homes for rent in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 1.93% APR.
- Rates Could Rise After the Fed Meets. Lock in Now.
- If You're Current or Former Military, You'd Better Read This
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Pay No Interest Until 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- Want To Travel Practically Free? (Get 100k points fast)
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for September 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap