Say you're going on a first date or a job interview. There's one piece of advice you can expect to get from just about everyone: Make a good first impression. Well, if you're hoping to court a buyer for the home you're selling, that rule still applies. You wouldn't let a prospective boss (or the man or woman you're trying to impress) see you for the first time with an untucked shirt and bed head. So don't let potential buyers see your home at anything less than its best. Dress your home to impress.
" 'You never get a second chance to make a first impression' is as true in real estate as it is in life," said HGTV's Tom Pastillo. But this goes beyond the obvious decluttering (which we hope you do know you should do). It's about neutralizing your home so any potential buyers who come through have the best chance of visualizing themselves living there.
Put away all your family photos, children's toys, trinkets and anything personal that buyers could be turned off by. Why are family photos such a big deal. Well, if you walked into a home and saw photos of the family who lives there all over the place, what would you think? Probably: "Oh, what a lovely home they have." Not: "Oh, what a lovely home I could have."
Wanna go the extra mile to really get the job done and get your home sold? First impressions are everything, so watch the video above to see more things that you could be doing to your home to make buyers fall in love at first sight.
Find homes for sale and homes for rent in your area.
See also:Advice From America's 'Top Real Estate Photographer'
Cheeky House Tour Takes Marketing to the Next Level
Newest Home-Staging Trend: 'Placement Pets'
More on AOL :
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Find rentals in your area.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 1.93% APR.
- Rates Could Rise After the Fed Meets. Lock in Now.
- If You're Current or Former Military, You'd Better Read This
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Pay No Interest Until 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- Want To Travel Practically Free? (Get 100k points fast)
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for September 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap