Need your morning coffee before you deal with chipper, happy-go-lucky people? Well, you might want to steer clear of California. Think life's too short to be a drag? Then Michigan isn't the place for you.
Forbes has released its annual list of the most miserable cities in the country, while at the same time, a study by the University of Vermont uncovered the happiest cities. For the downtrodden places, Forbes looked at factors including unemployment, violent crime, foreclosures and home prices (as well as less-serious indicators such as commute time and weather) to come up with its list of most miserable cities. The University of Vermont, on the other hand, analyzed more than 10 million geotagged tweets to find positive and negative terms. The cities that used the most positive terms in tweets, as you might guess, made the list of the happiest cities.
Cities in California make up the bulk of the happiest cities in America -- perhaps, in part, because the state's home price increases are among the most dramatic in the country. Cities in Michigan take the top two spots for the most miserable in the country -- and we all know why (because of depressing stories like this one). So is your town happy or sad? Click through the gallery below to see the top 10 most miserable and top 10 happiest cities in America.
See also: Myths About the Real Estate Market
Where Decrepit Homes Fetch Top Dollar, When They Have Mountain Views
What Middle Class Living Looks Like Now
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Find in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 2.02% APR. Can you save?
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Crush Your Debt: Refinance to a 15 yr fixed
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- You Could Earn 70K Miles with this Top Travel Card
- Mind-Blowing Cards for Those with Excellent Credit
- Pay No Interest Until 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program