A sorry-looking shack, with deep cracks in the cinder-block walls and busted windows, that looks like it's ready to collapse: You wouldn't pay a dime for that, would you? OK, say it's nestled in the gorgeous hilltops of the San Francisco Peninsula with no shortage of pristine mountain views. Now how much would you pay? More than $1 million? Well, that's how much it's going for.
Even rundown, shabby homes in the San Francisco Bay Area are fetching prices that top-notch single-family homes do. The reason is simple: those gorgeous mountain views. It seems that a great view can get homebuyers to pay top dollar -- even if the home itself is nothing to look at. The aforementioned shack? It's going for $1.275 million. Another home in San Jose, Calif., has a bathroom that hasn't had any work done to it since the 1930s, a kitchen that's falling apart and a shabby exterior. The listing agent even admits that he's "looking for someone to come in, remodel, probably flip this house." Well, hope the flip nets a big profit because to buy this house as it is, you'll need $585,000. See the video above to learn why such decrepit homes are going for such high prices.
Find homes for sale in San Francisco, or search listings in your area.
See also: Home Inspection Red Flags for Buyers
Home Inspections: What to Expect
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
See celebrity real estate.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 2.02% APR. Can you save?
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Crush Your Debt: Refinance to a 15 yr fixed
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- You Could Earn 70K Miles with this Top Travel Card
- Mind-Blowing Cards for Those with Excellent Credit
- Pay No Interest Until 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program