NYSE Euronext Announces Trading Volumes for January 2013
NYSE Euronext Announces Trading Volumes for January 2013
Global Derivatives ADV Up 27% Y-o-Y Driven by Strong Fixed Income Trading, Up 64%
U.S. Equity Options ADV Up 10% Y-o-Y; Record Market Share of 29%
U.S. and European Cash ADV Declined Y-o-Y But Rebounded from December 2012 levels
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- NYSE Euronext (NYX) today announced trading volumes for its global derivatives and cash equities exchanges for January 20131. Global derivatives average daily volume ("ADV") of 9.5 million contracts in January 2013 increased 26.9% compared to January 2012, and increased 27.5% from December 2012 driven principally by stronger fixed income derivatives ADV which increased 64% year-over-year and 91% month-over-month. U.S. Equity options volumes rebounded in January 2013 with an increase of 9.9% compared to January 2012 and an increased of 17.9% from December 2012 levels. U.S. Equity options combined market share set a new record high of 29.4% in January 2013. Trading volumes in European and U.S. cash equities declined year-over-year, but improved from December 2012 levels.
- NYSE Euronext global derivatives ADV in January 2013 of 9.5 million contracts increased 26.9% compared to January 2012 and increased 27.5% from December 2012 levels.
- NYSE Euronext European derivatives products ADV in January 2013 of 4.9 million contracts increased 51.0% compared to January 2012, and increased 39.4% from December 2012 levels. Excluding Bclear, NYSE Liffe's trade administration and clearing service for OTC products, European derivatives products ADV increased 43.5% compared to January 2012 and increased 60.8% from December 2012.
- NYSE Euronext U.S. equity options (NYSE Arca and NYSE Amex) ADV of 4.6 million contracts in January 2013 increased 9.9% compared to January 2012 levels and increased by 17.9% from December 2012 levels. NYSE Euronext's U.S. options exchanges accounted for 29.4% of total U.S. consolidated equity options trading in January 2013, setting a new record high.
- NYSE Euronext European cash products ADV of 1.3 million transactions in January 2013 decreased 14.4% compared to January 2012 but increased 21.0% compared to December 2012.
- NYSE Euronext U.S. cash products (NYSE, NYSE Arca and NYSE MKT) handled ADV of 1.6 billion shares in January 2012 decreased 14.4% compared to January 2012 but increased 1.5% compared to December 2012. NYSE Euronext's Tape A matched market share in January 2013 was 29.7%, down from 30.3% in January 2012 and down from 31.9% in December 2012.
- NYSE Euronext European derivatives products ADV in January 2013 was 4.9 million futures and options contracts, an increase of 51.0% from January 2012 and an increase of 39.4% from December 2012.
- The 4.9 million in European derivatives futures and options contracts ADV in November 2012 consisted of 3.8 million contracts executed through our full-service LIFFE CONNECT trading platform and 1.0 million contracts, or 21.1%, executed through Bclear, NYSE Liffe's trade administration and clearing service for OTC products. Excluding Bclear, European derivatives products ADV increased 43.5% compared to January 2012 and increased 60.8% from December 2012.
- Total fixed income products ADV of 3.0 million contracts in January 2013 increased 64.3% from January 2012 and increased 90.8% from December 2012.
- Total equity products (including Bclear) ADV of 1.8 million contracts in January 2013 increased 34.2% compared to January 2012 but decreased 3.1% from December 2012. The 1.8 million contracts in equity products ADV consisted of 1.3 million contracts in individual equity products ADV and 0.5 million contracts in equity index products ADV. The 1.3 million contracts in individual equity products ADV consisted of 0.8 million in futures contracts, which represented a 97.2% increase compared to January 2012 and 0.5 million in options contracts, which represented a 6.1% decrease compared to January 2012.
- Total commodities products ADV of 89,000 contracts in January 2013 increased 18.5% compared to January 2012, but decreased 8.4% compared to December 2012.
- NYSE Euronext U.S. equity options (NYSE Arca and NYSE Amex) ADV of 4.6 million contracts in January 2012 increased 9.9% compared to January 2012 and increased 17.9% compared to December 2012.
- Total U.S. consolidated equity options ADV decreased 0.5% to 15.6 million contracts in January 2013 compared to January 2012, but increased 9.2% compared to December 2012.
- NYSE Euronext's U.S. options exchanges accounted for 29.4% of the total U.S. consolidated equity options trading in January 2013 a new record high, up from 26.6% in January 2012 and up from 27.2% in December 2012. NYSE Euronext was the #1 options exchange group in terms of market share in January.
- NYSE Liffe U.S. ADV of approximately 50,900 contracts decreased from 94,900 contracts in January 2012 and decreased from 72,600 contracts in December 2012.
- NYSE Euronext European cash products ADV of 1.3 million transactions in January 2013 decreased 14.4% compared to January 2012, but increased 21.0% compared to December 2012.
- NYSE Euronext U.S. cash products handled ADV in January 2013 decreased 14.4% to 1.6 billion shares compared to January 2012 but increased 1.5% from December 2012.
- NYSE Euronext's Tape A matched market share in January 2013 was 29.7%, down from 30.3% in January 2012, and down from 31.9% in December 2012.
Exchange Traded Products
- NYSE Euronext U.S. matched exchange-traded products ADV (included in volumes for Tape B and Tape C) of 191 million shares in January 2012 decreased 16.4% compared to January 2012 and decreased 1.3% compared to December 2012.
Please click here for the Monthly Transaction Activity Data Table.
About NYSE Euronext
NYSE Euronext (NYX) is a leading global operator of financial markets and provider of innovative trading technologies. The company's exchanges in Europe and the United States trade equities, futures, options, fixed-income and exchange-traded products. With approximately 8,000 listed issues (excluding European Structured Products), NYSE Euronext's equities markets - the New York Stock Exchange, NYSE Euronext, NYSE MKT, NYSE Alternext and NYSE Arca - represent one-third of the world's equities trading, the most liquidity of any global exchange group. NYSE Euronext also operates NYSE Liffe, one of the leading European derivatives businesses and the world's second-largest derivatives business by value of trading. The company offers comprehensive commercial technology, connectivity and market data products and services through NYSE Technologies. NYSE Euronext is in the S&P 500 index. For more information, please visit: http://www.nyx.com.
CAUTIONARY STATEMENT REGARDING FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS
This communication contains "forward-looking statements" made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. In some cases, you can identify forward-looking statements by words such as "may," "hope," "will," "should," "expect," "plan," "anticipate," "intend," "believe," "estimate," "predict," "potential," "continue," "could," "future" or the negative of those terms or other words of similar meaning. You should carefully read forward-looking statements, including statements that contain these words, because they discuss our future expectations or state other "forward-looking" information. Forward-looking statements are subject to numerous assumptions, risks and uncertainties which change over time. ICE and NYSE Euronext caution readers that any forward-looking statement is not a guarantee of future performance and that actual results could differ materially from those contained in the forward-looking statement.
Forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements about the benefits of the proposed merger involving ICE and NYSE Euronext, including future financial results, ICE's and NYSE Euronext's plans, objectives, expectations and intentions, the expected timing of completion of the transaction and other statements that are not historical facts. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements are set forth in ICE's and NYSE Euronext's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC"). These risks and uncertainties include, without limitation, the following: the inability to close the merger in a timely manner; the inability to complete the merger due to the failure of NYSE Euronext stockholders to adopt the merger agreement or the failure of ICE stockholders to approve the issuance of ICE common stock in connection with the merger; the failure to satisfy other conditions to completion of the merger, including receipt of required regulatory and other approvals; the failure of the proposed transaction to close for any other reason; the possibility that any of the anticipated benefits of the proposed transaction will not be realized; the risk that integration of NYSE Euronext's operations with those of ICE will be materially delayed or will be more costly or difficult than expected; the challenges of integrating and retaining key employees; the effect of the announcement of the transaction on ICE's, NYSE Euronext's or the combined company's respective business relationships, operating results and business generally; the possibility that the anticipated synergies and cost savings of the merger will not be realized, or will not be realized within the expected time period; the possibility that the merger may be more expensive to complete than anticipated, including as a result of unexpected factors or events; diversion of management's attention from ongoing business operations and opportunities; general competitive, economic, political and market conditions and fluctuations; actions taken or conditions imposed by the United States and foreign governments or regulatory authorities; and adverse outcomes of pending or threatened litigation or government investigations. In addition, you should carefully consider the risks and uncertainties and other factors that may affect future results of the combined company, as will be described in the section entitled "Risk Factors" in the joint proxy statement/prospectus to be delivered to ICE's and NYSE Euronext's respective shareholders, and as described in ICE's and NYSE Euronext's respective filings with the SEC that are available on the SEC's web site located at www.sec.gov, including the sections entitled "Risk Factors" in ICE's Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2011, as filed with the SEC on February 8, 2012, and ICE's Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q for the quarters ended June 30, 2012, as filed with the SEC on August 1, 2012, and September 30, 2012, as filed with the SEC on November 5, 2012, and "Risk Factors" in NYSE Euronext's Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2011, as filed with the SEC on February 29, 2012, and NYSE Euronext's Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q for the quarters ended March 31, 2012, as filed with the SEC on May 4, 2012, and September 30, 2012, as filed with the SEC on November 8, 2012. You should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this communication. Except for any obligations to disclose material information under the Federal securities laws, NYSE Euronext undertakes no obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date of this communication.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROPOSED TRANSACTION AND WHERE TO FIND IT
This communication does not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy any securities or a solicitation of any vote or approval. In connection with the proposed transaction, ICE has filed with the SEC a registration statement on Form S-4, which includes a joint proxy statement/prospectus with respect to the proposed acquisition of NYSE Euronext. The final joint proxy statement/prospectus will be delivered to the stockholders of ICE and NYSE Euronext. INVESTORS AND SECURITY HOLDERS OF BOTH ICE AND NYSE EURONEXT ARE URGED TO READ THE JOINT PROXY STATEMENT/PROSPECTUS REGARDING THE PROPOSED TRANSACTION CAREFULLY AND IN ITS ENTIRETY, INCLUDING ANY DOCUMENTS PREVIOUSLY FILED WITH THE SEC AND INCORPORATED BY REFERENCE INTO THE JOINT PROXY STATEMENT/PROSPECTUS, AS WELL AS ANY AMENDMENTS OR SUPPLEMENTS TO THOSE DOCUMENTS, BECAUSE IT WILL CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING ICE, NYSE EURONEXT AND THE PROPOSED TRANSACTION. Investors and security holders may obtain a free copy of the joint proxy statement/prospectus, as well as other filings containing information about ICE and NYSE Euronext, without charge, at the SEC's website at http://www.sec.gov. Investors may also obtain these documents, without charge, from ICE's website at http://www.theice.com and from NYSE Euronext's website at http://www.nyx.com.
PARTICIPANTS IN THE MERGER SOLICITATION
ICE, NYSE Euronext and their respective directors, executive officers and other members of management and employees may be deemed to be participants in the solicitation of proxies in respect of the transactions contemplated by the Merger Agreement.
You can find information about ICE and ICE's directors and executive officers in ICE's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011, as filed with the SEC on February 8, 2012, and ICE's proxy statement for its 2012 annual meeting of stockholders, as filed with the SEC on March 30, 2012.
You can find information about NYSE Euronext and NYSE Euronext's directors and executive officers in NYSE Euronext's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011, as filed with the SEC on February 29, 2012, and NYSE Euronext's proxy statement for its 2012 annual meeting of stockholders, filed with the SEC on March 26, 2012.
Additional information about the interests of potential participants will be included in the joint proxy statement/prospectuses, when it becomes available, and the other relevant documents filed by ICE and NYSE Euronext with the SEC.
Monthly Volume Summary
|Average Daily Volume||Total Volume||Average Daily Volume||Total Volume|
|(Unaudited; contracts in thousands)||Jan-13||Jan-12||% Chg||Jan-13||Jan-12||% Chg||YTD 2013|
% Chg vs.
% Chg vs.
|Number of Trading Days - European Cash||22||22||22||22||22||22|
|Number of Trading Days - European Derivatives||22||22||22||22||22||22|
|Number of Trading Days - U.S. Markets||21||20||21||20||21||21|
|European Derivatives Products||4,867||3,222||51.0%||107,077||70,891||51.0%||4,867||51.0%||107,077||51.0%|
|of which Bclear||1,027||546||88.1%||22,603||12,014||88.1%||1,027||88.1%||22,603||88.1%|
|Total Fixed Income Products||3,027||1,842||64.3%||66,602||40,529||64.3%||3,027||64.3%||66,602||64.3%|
|Short Term Interest Rate Products||2,858||1,723||65.9%||62,873||37,904||65.9%||2,858||65.9%||62,873||65.9%|
|Medium and Long Term Interest Rate Products 1||170||119||42.1%||3,729||2,625||42.1%||170||42.1%||3,729||42.1%|
|Total Equity Products2||1,751||1,305||34.2%||38,518||28,711||34.2%||1,751||34.2%||38,518||34.2%|
|Individual Equity Products||1,266||906||39.7%||27,846||19,936||39.7%||1,266||39.7%||27,846||39.7%|
|Equity Index Products||485||399||21.6%||10,673||8,775||21.6%||485||21.6%||10,673||21.6%|
|of which Bclear||1,026||546||87.9%||22,579||12,014||87.9%||1,026||87.9%||22,579||87.9%|
|Individual Equity Products||898||486||84.5%||19,748||10,701||84.5%||898||84.5%||19,748||84.5%|
|Equity Index Products||129||60||115.8%||2,832||1,312||115.8%||129||115.8%||2,832||115.8%|
|U.S. Derivatives Products|
|NYSE Euronext Options Contracts||4,584||4,171||9.9%||96,262||83,425||15.4%||4,584||9.9%||96,262||15.4%|
|Total Consolidated Options Contracts||15,584||15,668||-0.5%||327,266||313,363||4.4%||15,584||-0.5%||327,266||4.4%|
|NYSE Group Share of Total||29.4%||26.6%||29.4%||26.6%||29.4%||2.8%||29.4%||2.8%|
|NYSE Liffe U.S.|
|Futures and Futures Options Volume*||50.9||94.9||-46.4%||1,120||1,993||-43.8%||50.9||-46.4%||1,119.8||-43.8%|
|European Cash Products (trades in thousands)||1,293||1,510||-14.4%||28,436||33,222||-14.4%||1,293||-14.4%||28,436||-14.4%|
|Read Full Story|