People find some seriously weird things in their homes: dozens of exotic animals, stashes of marijuana, $7 million worth of gold bars, for example. But something significantly scarier -- and more dangerous -- was found inside Charlotte Donahue's home in Prince George, Va., on Sunday morning: four inmates who had recently escaped from a youth prison. "One was found in my attic," Donahue told WWBT-TV in Richmond. "The other was found in one of my closets, and the last two were found in my bedroom."
The inmates -- 17-year-old Alvin Rogers, 15-year-old Yusef Collier, 17-year-old Shelvy Edwards and 15-year-old Raekwon Brown -- had escaped from Crater Juvenile Detention Center after a riot had broken out, WWBT reported. The escaped inmates trekked a mile in the woods and swamp before they broke into Donahue's home to hide. Police had been searching for 10 hours before they spotted Donahue's broken front door window.
Thankfully, Donahue was out of town when the inmates broke in. She was summoned home by police at 7:30 am on Sunday morning. "How in the world would I have dealt with four men who were trying to get away from the law?" Donahue said. She added that this is not the first time Crater Juvenile Detention Center inmates had broken into her home. She said that a decade ago, two inmates hid in her shed but were later caught in the neighboring town of Hopewell. The four inmates in the recent incident have been returned to Crater Juvenile Detention Center and charged with felony escape.
As this story proves, you should take steps to make your home more secure in the event that someone tries to break in. There are easy, cheap ways to beef up your home's security, but if you want to go all the way, check out what an automated home can do. And here's what to do to ensure your home won't be burglarized.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 2.02% APR. Can you save?
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Crush Your Debt: Refinance to a 15 yr fixed
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- You Could Earn 70K Miles with this Top Travel Card
- Mind-Blowing Cards for Those with Excellent Credit
- Pay No Interest Until 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program