The historic townhouse in Manhattan that John Lennon and Yoko Ono used as the Nutopian Embassy -- the diplomatic headquarters of their "conceptual country" of Nutopia -- is up for sale for a very real $4.25 million, according to Curbed. It's a funny story: On April Fool's Day in 1973, the legendary couple announced that they were founding Nutopia, which "has no land, no boundaries, no passports, only people," Lennon said at a news conference that day. "Nutopia has no laws other than cosmic. All people of Nutopia are ambassadors of the country. As two ambassadors of Nutopia, we ask for diplomatic immunity and recognition in the United Nations of our country and its people."
Lennon and Ono gave the address of the townhouse at One White Street in Manhattan as the location of the Nutopian Embassy, even though the former Beatle and his conceptual-artist wife never lived there. Though the whole thing was born from their imaginations, a lot of people apparently took it seriously. Owners of the property since then reportedly have received mail addressed to Yoko Ono.
As The Real Deal pointed out, the townhouse hasn't retained many of its characteristics from Lennon and Ono's day. The place has been completely gutted since the last time it was bought -- in 2010 for $3.25 million. Nick Petkoff and Alex Liu of Massey Knakal Realty Services have the listing.
Find more homes for sale in New York, N.Y., or search listings in your area.
10 Celebrity Homes That Have Stolen Our Hearts
Beatle George Harrison's Swiss Manor
The Rumored Residence of the Rolling Stones
See more Houses of the Day on AOL Real Estate.
Got a tip for House of the Day? Know of an exceptional or unusual property currently listed for sale? Please email email@example.com with your suggestions and be sure to include links to listing details and photos. (Due to the volume of response, we unfortunately are unable to reply to each submission.)
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Find homes for rent in your area.
See celebrity real estate.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 1.93% APR.
- Rates Could Rise After the Fed Meets. Lock in Now.
- If You're Current or Former Military, You'd Better Read This
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Pay No Interest Until 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- Want To Travel Practically Free? (Get 100k points fast)
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for September 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap