By Lisa Kaplan Gordon
Like everyone else in America, I've been trying to stay healthy during the current flu epidemic. So, when I heard that Heloise, of "Hints from Heloise," was speaking at the Home and Remodeling Show in Chantilly, Va., near my home, I grabbed the chance to contact her and ask how to make my home flu-free.
Hand-washing is key, says the Texan columnist and adviser on all things domestic; and vigorous hand rubbing is more important than water temperature or type of soap. Also, place paper towels or napkins at the sink that you can use and toss, don't use hand towels that just absorb and pass along germs.
More Anti-Flu Tips:
• Line trashcans with plastic bags from the grocery so you can throw away used tissues without touching them.
• Clean door handles and faucets with inexpensive rubbing alcohol -- 70% or 90% -- rather than commercial anti-bacterial wipes.
• Don't forget to sanitize TV remote controls, especially if a sick person has touched them.
• Crack a window or door to let in fresh air, rather than just breathing the same stale, germy air.
• Wash sheets on sickbeds at least twice a week in the hottest water that they can stand and add a splash of chlorine bleach.
After we chatted about the flu, Heloise shared some remodeling advice -- she's all about advice -- on how to approach DIY projects.
Her top hint: Always assume a DIY project will take longer and require more skills than it looks on television. Then sit down with the directions a day or two before you begin. That way you'll know what tools and skills you need before you're knee-deep in nuts and bolts.
See more on HouseLogic:
CES Highlights: Some Very Needy Appliances
You Might Face Tax-Filing Delay This Year
Should the Energy Department Tell You What Kind of Furnace to Buy?
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Find homes for rent in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- The Best States to Retire in 2022
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Turn Your Home Equity Into Cash Before a Recession
- Use The Equity In Your Home To Get The Cash You Need
- Home Equity Surges: Compare Home Equity Loans
- Age 62+? Take this Quiz to Qualify for a Home Equity Conversion
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps New Home Buyers Qualify to Buy
- 5 Best Cash Back Credit Cards For 2022
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- 3 Cards That Can Help You Take Your Dream Vacation
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold