The origins of company names are often unknown to the public at large, and that's especially true with older companies: When a business has existed for as long as you've been alive, you just take the name for granted. But many of today's prominent firms could easily have ended up with very different names.
One major tech company settled on its name by flipping a coin, for instance. A well-known coffee shop chain came close to putting a very peculiar name on its storefronts. And other businesses spent years operating under different names before settling on the ones we all recognize. It's not uncommon for founders to name their ventures off the cuff while sitting in a dorm room or garage, then reconsider once the businesses start to take off.
With that in mind, we've put together this short quiz to test your knowledge of how various companies got their names ... and the strange names they went through to get where they are today.
Matt Brownell is the consumer and retail reporter for DailyFinance. You can reach him at Matt.Brownell@teamaol.com, and follow him on Twitter at @Brownellorama.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out Of Pocket?
- Recalculate Your House Payment in Minutes
- Can You Save $23,000 By Refinancing Your Home?
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Mind-Blowing Cards for Those with Excellent Credit
- 6 Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards Of 2022
- Want to Travel Practically Free? This Card Is For You