Equity Residential Selling $1.5 Billion Worth of Assets to Goldman Sachs Joint Venture

On Monday, Equity Residentialannounced it has entered into an agreement to sell 27 residential apartment properties to a joint venture of Goldman Sachs and Greystar Real Estate Partners LLC.

The maximum purchase price based on the value of the assets is $1.5 billion. However, Equity is giving the buyers the right to exclude, or decline to purchase, up to 8% of the assets by value, potentially decreasing the purchase price to $1.38 billion. In order of concentration, the assets in question are located in Washington, D.C., northern New Jersey, Florida, Phoenix, Denver, Southern California, and the San Francisco Bay area.

Equity noted in a statement that it is selling these assets for two reasons: First, to exit "non-core assets" and markets it is less interested in participating in. Second, to raise cash to fund its portion of the Archstone Enterprise LP business Lehman Brothers Holdings is selling. Equity announced it was buying 60% of Archstone in a $6.5 billion deal in November. (AvalonBay Communities is buying the remaining 40%.)


The article Equity Residential Selling $1.5 Billion Worth of Assets to Goldman Sachs Joint Venture originally appeared on Fool.com.

Rich Smith has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool recommends Goldman Sachs Group,. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Copyright © 1995 - 2013 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Read Full Story

Can't get enough business news?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from retailer news to the latest IPOs delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.