Chances Are You Got a Tablet for Christmas
Just like last year, Flurry Analytics is sharing numbers on how iOS and Android ruled Christmas. The market researcher has released some figures related to Apple iOS and Google Android device activations as well as subsequent app download activity, and 2012 blew 2011 out of the water.
Flurry even goes as far as to say this year, "more iPhones, iPads, Galaxy's, Kindle Fires, and more, were activated than on any other day in history." It's not surprising that mobile gadgets were popular gifts this year; earlier data out of Nielsen showed that's about all kids were wanting this season, with the iPad in particular topping the list.
Source: Flurry Analytics.
A baseline is set for Dec. 1 to Dec. 20, and average iOS and Android activations in that time this year was 4 million. When all those gifts were unwrapped on the morning of Dec. 25, that figure skyrocketed to 17.4 million, a 332% jump. Compare that to last year where the baseline was 1.5 million and Christmas day activations were 6.8 million.
Of course, the first thing someone does after getting a gadget is to activate it. The second thing someone does is to load up said gadget with apps. iOS and Android app downloads totaled 328 million on Christmas.
Flurry also looked at the composition of smartphones and tablets. During the baseline period, smartphones were 80% of activations with tablets being the remaining 20%. On the Dec. 25, it was split about evenly. That means there were quite a few tablets being gifted this year, and Flurry figures that iPads, iPad Minis, and Amazon.com's Kindle Fire HD were the biggest winners. Amazon grew its tablet activations by "several thousand percent" relative to its baseline.
I would also think that Google's Nexus 7 did well, even though it's not specifically mentioned in the report. The Nexus 7 is a more full-functioned device compared to the Kindle Fire HD and it targets the same pricing segment.
Judging by these figures, it looks like a lot of you got tablets for Christmas, and that's good news for Apple, Google, and Amazon.
There's no doubt that Apple is at the center of technology's largest revolution ever, and that longtime shareholders have been handsomely rewarded with over 1,000% gains. However, there is a debate raging as to whether Apple remains a buy. The Motley Fool's senior technology analyst and managing bureau chief, Eric Bleeker, is prepared to fill you in on both reasons to buy and reasons to sell Apple, and what opportunities are left for the company (and your portfolio) going forward. To get instant access to his latest thinking on Apple, simply click here now.
The article Chances Are You Got a Tablet for Christmas originally appeared on Fool.com.Fool contributor Evan Niu, CFA, owns shares of Apple. The Motley Fool owns shares of Apple, Amazon.com, and Google. Motley Fool newsletter services recommend Apple, Amazon.com, and Google. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2012 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.