Avalon and Equity Residential Snatch Up Archstone, Creating Super-REITs

Equity Residential (NYSE: EQR) and Avalonbay Communities Inc. (NYSE: AVB) are acquiring  Archstone Enterprises LP. This deal is for the portfolio of apartment properties under Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.

Today's deal values Archstone at roughly $6.5 billion in cash and stock. Equity Residential will take roughly 60% of the assets and liabilities in the acquisition and Avalonbay is set to take the other 40%.

The combined equity price for the combined price includes $2.7 billion in cash as well as shares with a value of $3.8 billion. It is currently expected by the parties involved that the buyout should close in the first quarter of 2013, subject to regulatory approvals.

As far as how the total $6.5 billion size measures up, Avalonbay Communities Inc. has a market cap of $12.6 billion and Equity Residential has a market value of about $16.5 billion. It does need to be noted that this includes the assumption of $9.5 billion of debt and another $330 million in preferred shares.


Filed under: 24/7 Wall St. Wire, Bankruptcy, Dividends & Buybacks, Housing, Mergers & Acquisitions, Mergers and Buy Outs, REIT Tagged: AVB, EQR, featured
Read Full Story

Can't get enough business news?

Sign up for Finance Report by AOL and get everything from retailer news to the latest IPOs delivered directly to your inbox daily!

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.