AstraZeneca Launches New Digital Resources for ARIMIDEX® (anastrozole) Tablets to Help Educate Patie
AstraZeneca Launches New Digital Resources for ARIMIDEX®(anastrozole) Tablets to Help Educate Patients About ARIMIDEX Direct
Resources Provide Program Enrollment Information and Encourage Patients to Share the Information With Others
WILMINGTON, Del.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- AstraZeneca (NYS: AZN) today launched new digital resources to educate patients on how to enroll in ARIMIDEX Direct. Resources include a "how to" video outlining the enrollment process for ARIMIDEX Direct and a digital badge that can be shared via social media platforms and symbolizes support for the program.
Breast cancer treatments can impact patients financially. In fact, research has found that the estimated lifetime costs of medical care for breast cancer patients in the United States can be up to $100,000.1 However, there are programs like AstraZeneca's ARIMIDEX Direct, which can help reduce financial strain for patients taking ARIMIDEX.
ARIMIDEX is approved for adjuvant treatment (treatment following surgery with or without radiation) of postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive early breast cancer. Prescription ARIMIDEX is only for postmenopausal women. ARIMIDEX should not be taken if you are pregnant because it may harm your unborn child. Do not take ARIMIDEX if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Additional Important Safety Information provided below.
ARIMIDEX Direct enables eligible patients with a valid prescription to have ARIMIDEX® (anastrozole) Tablets delivered directly to their home for $40 per month, including shipping and handling. Patients who enroll in ARIMIDEX Direct could save more than $4,000 per year through the program. ARIMIDEX Direct is not valid for prescriptions purchased under Medicaid or similar assistance programs.
ARIMIDEX Direct is a development in AstraZeneca's long tradition of innovation in oncology. Over the years, AstraZeneca has produced treatment options in the therapeutic area of oncology, including medications for treating postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive early breast cancer. Further, AstraZeneca has long played a leadership role in raising awareness about breast cancer and the importance of screening. The AstraZeneca Foundation was one of the founders of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. In addition, AstraZeneca is proud to be an award recipient of the CEO Gold Standard Accreditation from the CEO Roundtable on Cancer since 2006.
Patients or physicians with questions can call 1-800-637-3616 to contact ARIMIDEX DirectCustomer Service between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM ET, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
Important Safety Information About ARIMIDEX®(anastrozole) Tablets
- Based on information from a study in patients with early breast cancer, women with a history of blockages in heart arteries (ischemic heart disease) who take ARIMIDEX may have a slight increase in this type of heart disease compared to similar patients who take tamoxifen
- ARIMIDEX can cause bone softening/weakening (osteoporosis) increasing the chance of fractures. In a clinical study in early breast cancer, there were more fractures (including fractures of the spine, hip, and wrist) with ARIMIDEX (10%) than with tamoxifen (7%)
- In a clinical study in early breast cancer, some patients taking ARIMIDEX had an increase in cholesterol. Skin reactions, allergic reactions, and changes in blood tests of liver function have also been reported
- In the early breast cancer clinical trial, the most common side effects seen with ARIMIDEX include hot flashes, joint symptoms (including arthritis and arthralgia), weakness, mood changes, pain, back pain, sore throat, nausea and vomiting, rash, depression, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, fractures, swelling of arms/legs, insomnia, and headache
- In advanced breast cancer trials, the most common side effects seen with ARIMIDEX versus tamoxifen include hot flashes, nausea, decreased energy and weakness, pain, back pain, headache, bone pain, increased cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, and swelling of arms and legs. Joint pain/stiffness has been reported in association with the use of ARIMIDEX
- ARIMIDEX should not be taken with tamoxifen or estrogen-containing therapies
Approved Uses for ARIMIDEX®(anastrozole) Tablets
ARIMIDEX is approved for adjuvant treatment (treatment following surgery with or without radiation) of postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive early breast cancer.
ARIMIDEX is approved for the initial treatment of postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive or hormone receptor-unknown locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer and for the treatment of postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer that has progressed following treatment with tamoxifen. Patients with hormone receptor-negative disease and patients who did not previously respond to tamoxifen therapy rarely responded to ARIMIDEX.
Clickherefor the full Prescribing Information for ARIMIDEX.
For more information, see your doctor.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.FDA.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business with a primary focus on the discovery, development, and commercialization of prescription medicines for gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, neuroscience, respiratory and inflammation, oncology, and infectious disease. AstraZeneca operates in over 100 countries and its innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide. For more information please visit: www.astrazeneca.com.
For more information about AstraZeneca in the US or our AZ&Me™ Prescription Savings programs, please visit www.astrazeneca-us.com or call 1-800-AZandMe (292-6363).
- ENDS -
1 Campbell J, Ramsey S. The costs of treating breast cancer in the US: A synthesis of published evidence. Pharmacoeconomics. 2009; 27(3): 199-209.
Stephanie Andrzejewski, +1 302-885-8896
KEYWORDS: United States North America Delaware
The article AstraZeneca Launches New Digital Resources for ARIMIDEX® (anastrozole) Tablets to Help Educate Patients About ARIMIDEX Direct originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.