How British American Tobacco Has Fared During 2012

LONDON -- British American Tobacco (ISE: BATS.L) (NYS: BTI) has gained 4% to 3,165 pence so far during 2012, making the share one of this year's more reliable performers in the FTSE 100. During the same time, the blue chip index has gained 5% and generated a total return of 9%.

The world's second-largest tobacco company, which operates in more than 180 countries, has proven to be quite resilient in the face of a challenging trading environment where industry sales are under pressure.

In February, British American Tobacco's results for the 12 months ending Dec. 31, 2011, reported a successful year for the company. The group's adjusted operating profits, underlying earnings per share, and total dividend for the year were all up by 11%.

Then in April, the group reported an increase in volumes for the first three months of 2012. At the time, Nicandro Durante, BAT's chief executive, said: "We have grown volumes and Global Drive Brands and have achieved good growth in revenue, with continued pricing momentum, although currency headwinds have adversely affected results. It is a strong start to another year of anticipated good earnings growth."

In July, BAT lifted its first-half dividend by 11%; however, sales were flat at 7.4 billion pounds within its half-year report.

More recently, the group reported its third-quarter update. Underlying sales improved 4% during the first nine months of the year, and its four Global Drive Brands achieved overall volume growth of 3%.

BAT currently pays a dividend of 131 pence per share and yields around 4%.

If you are seeking blue chip ideas for 2013 and beyond, "The FTSE 100 Share Warren Buffett Loves" is an exclusive Fool report that names the British blue chip the legendary billionaire investor is backing today, and the investing logic behind his purchase.

You can discover the potential winner Buffett favors right now by downloading this free report while it remains available.

The article How British American Tobacco Has Fared During 2012 originally appeared on

Sonia Rehill does not own any share mentioned in this article.The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days.

Copyright © 1995 - 2012 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.