Here's something of a surprise: A game in which you don't kill things with guns is the most played game on Xbox Live this week. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition, the console version of the massively popular PC game has eclipsed Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 as the most played game on Xbox Live. Microsoft's Major Nelson released the charts for this week's most played game.
Minecraft is an indie sandbox title originally released on PC by Mojang. Minecraft on Xbox 360, developed by 4J Studios, allows players freedom from a typical gaming experience. Games like Call of Duty provide engaging story to supplement core mechanics like moving and shooting, but Minecraft is all mechanics: digging, building and crafting. The story and world are yours to create. Players are encouraged to team up with others to craft their world of choice. Simple as it sounds, Minecraft is the best-selling Xbox Live Arcade title with a resounding 4 million copies sold.
On Xbox Live, mature-rated, mass appeal games tend to be the most played games, so it's refreshing to see such a different game take the throne. We'll see whether Minecraft has lasting power to remain on top of this list, with powerhouses such as Halo 4 and Call of Duty: Black Ops II set to hit shelves in mere weeks.
[Photo Credit: Fallen Kingdom]
Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition's position as the most played Xbox Live title this week is no small feat. However, do you think this signifies a shift in mass appeal? Are consumers more interested in casual gaming? Sound off in the comments. Add Comment.
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate at four-week low
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don't Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Mom threatens to scream in the middle of Target over pile of boys’ …
- Amazon sells real diamond earrings — studs start at just $60
- ‘Unprofessional’ ultrasound tech makes mom-to-be physically ill after …
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- Best Travel Credit Cards Of August 2022
- Plan The Trip Of A Lifetime With This Travel Card Bonus