8x8, Inc. Announces Second Quarter Fiscal 2013 Results
8x8, Inc. Announces Second Quarter Fiscal 2013 Results
Record revenue of $26.4 million; Non-GAAP net income of $3.7 million, or $0.05 per share
SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- 8x8, Inc. (NAS: EGHT) , provider of innovative cloud-based business communications and computing solutions, today announced financial operating results for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 ended September 30, 2012.
Second Quarter Fiscal 2013 Financial Highlights:
- Total revenue for the quarter increased 33% year over year to a record $26.4 million from $19.8 million in the same period of fiscal 2012.
- Revenue from business customers comprised 96% of total revenue for the quarter.
- Overall gross margin increased to 68% compared with 67% in the prior quarter and 66% in the same period last year. Service gross margin was 76%, compared with 75% in the prior quarter and 77% in the same period last year.
- Non-GAAP net income (as outlined in the reconciliation table below) was $3.7 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, compared with $1.7 million, or $0.02 per diluted share, in the same period a year ago.
- GAAP net income was $1.7 million, or $0.02 per diluted share, compared with $0.8 million, or $0.01 per share, for the same period last year.
- Ended the quarter with $40.1 million in cash, cash equivalents and investments compared with $19.1 million on September 30, 2011.
"I am pleased to announce another outstanding quarter marked by solid revenue and profit growth alongside increased gross margins which we expect will continue to improve as a result of the operational efficiencies of our cloud-based, monthly recurring revenue business model," said 8x8 Chairman & CEO Bryan Martin.
Second Quarter Fiscal 2013 Operating Metrics and Other Business Highlights:
- Average monthly revenue per business customer was $256, compared with $207 in the same period last year and $250 in the prior quarter.
- Average number of services subscribed to per business customer grew to 10.6 from 9.0 in the same period last year and 10.1 services in the prior quarter.
- For new customers added during the September quarter, the average number of services subscribed to grew to 14.7 from 12.4 in the same period last year.
- Business service revenue churn was 1.0%, compared with 1.9% in the same period last year and 2.3% in the prior quarter.
- Ended the quarter with 30,498 business customers, up from 29,913 business customers in the prior quarter; net company additions for the quarter were affected by the departure of approximately 400 'one-number access' customers representing approximately $9,000 per month in recurring revenue that were previously acquired in 2008 from Avtex Solutions.
- Awarded two new patents related to contact/call center technologies; company has been awarded 83 U.S. patents since inception.
- Received the 2012 North American Frost & Sullivan Award for leadership in Hosted IP Telephony and Unified Communications in July.
- Introduced an enhanced smartphone and tablet app that incorporates video calling, presence, call recording, expanded PBX features and advanced audio compression technology.
"Our operating metrics for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 demonstrate the continued adoption of a greater number of 8x8 services by both small and mid-market customers, many of whom have multiple geographic locations and mobile workforces that are no longer served or supported by legacy premise-based or hybrid approaches," Martin continued. "According to recent Frost & Sullivan data, 84% of companies have remote workers who spend at least 25% of their time away from their desks. To support this growing trend, we have significantly enhanced our core Virtual Office hosted PBX offering with upgraded smartphone and tablet apps that extend the communications capabilities and productivity advantages of our services onto the most popular telephony, video and mobile devices used in today's business environments. We look forward to delivering these and other new applications as the business communications market continues to evolve."
Six Months Year to Date Fiscal 2013 Financial Highlights:
- Total revenue for the six months ended September 30, 2012, increased 35% year over year to $51.6 million from $38.3 million in the same period of fiscal 2012.
- Overall gross margin for the six months ended September 30, 2012, increased to 67.3%, compared with 66.7% in the same period last year.
- Non-GAAP net income (as outlined in the reconciliation table below) for the six months ended September 30, 2012, was $7.1 million, or $0.10 per diluted share, compared with $3.6 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, for the same period last year.
- GAAP net income for the six months ended September 30, 2012, was $10.4 million, or $0.14 per diluted share, compared with $2.8 million, or $0.04 per diluted share, for the same period last year.
We have provided in this release financial information that has not been prepared in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). We use these non-GAAP financial measures internally in analyzing our financial results and believe they are useful to investors, as a supplement to GAAP measures, in evaluating our ongoing operational performance. We believe that the use of these non-GAAP financial measures provides an additional tool for investors to use in evaluating our ongoing operating results and trends and in comparing our financial results with other companies in our industry, many of which present similar non-GAAP financial measures to investors.
Non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered in isolation from, or as a substitute for, financial information prepared in accordance with GAAP. Investors are encouraged to review the reconciliation of these non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP financial measures below. A reconciliation of our non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP measures has been provided in the financial statement tables included below in this press release.
Non-GAAP net income and non-GAAP net income per share
We have defined non-GAAP net income as net income for GAAP plus loss on investment, non-cash tax adjustments, stock-based compensation, amortization of acquired intangible assets, acquisition-related costs, facility exit costs and gain on patent sale. We have excluded loss on a strategic investment in another company and gain on patent sale because we consider these to be isolated transactions and believe these are not reflective of our ongoing operations. Non-cash tax adjustments represent the differences between the amount of taxes we expect to pay and our GAAP tax provision each period. We have excluded stock-based compensation expense because it relies on valuations based on future events, such as the market price of our common stock, that are difficult to predict and are affected by market factors that are largely not within the control of management. Amortization of acquired intangible assets is excluded because it is a non-cash expense that we do not consider part of ongoing operations when assessing our financial performance, as it relates to accounting for certain purchased assets. We have excluded acquisition-related expenses, including expenses to exit facilities, because these expenses are difficult to predict and are often one-time. We define non-GAAP net income per share as non-GAAP net income divided by the weighted-average diluted shares outstanding. We define non-GAAP net income percentage of revenue as non-GAAP net income divided by revenue. The GAAP and non-GAAP weighted average number of diluted shares to calculate GAAP and non-GAAP earnings per share are the same. We believe that such exclusions facilitate comparisons to our historical operating results and to the results of other companies in the same industry, and provides investors with information that we use in evaluating management's performance on a quarterly and annual basis.
Management will host a conference call to discuss these results and other matters related to the Company's business today, October 24, 2012, at 4:30 p.m. EDT. The call is accessible via the following numbers and webcast links:
|Dial In:||(877) 843-0417, domestic|
|(408) 427-3791, international|
|Replay:||(855) 859-2056, domestic (Conference ID #37358227)|
|(404) 537-3406, international (Conference ID #37358227)|
Supplemental financial slides will be presented through 8x8's Virtual Meeting web conferencing portal, which can be accessed at: http://virtualmeeting.8x8.com/Q2FY2013Earnings.
About 8x8, Inc.
8x8, Inc. (NAS: EGHT) empowers business conversations for more than 30,000 small and medium-sized businesses with cloud communications services that include hosted PBX telephony, unified communications, contact center and video conferencing solutions. Named the No. 1 Provider of Hosted IP Telephony by market research firm Frost & Sullivan, 8x8 has been delivering business communications services since 2004 and has garnered a reputation for technical excellence and outstanding reliability. For additional information, visit www.8x8.com, or connect with 8x8 on Facebook and Twitter.
Forward Looking Statements
This news release contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. These statements include, without limitation, information about future events based on current expectations, potential product development efforts, near and long-term objectives, potential new business, strategies, organization changes, changing markets, future business performance and outlook. Such statements are predictions only, and actual events or results could differ materially from those made in any forward-looking statements due to a number of risks and uncertainties. Actual results and trends may differ materially from historical results or those projected in any such forward-looking statements depending on a variety of factors. These factors include, but are not limited to, customer acceptance and demand for our products and services, the reliability of our services, the prices for our services, customer renewal rates, customer acquisition costs, actions by our competitors, including price reductions for their telephone services, potential federal and state regulatory actions, compliance costs, potential warranty claims and product defects, our needs for and the availability of adequate working capital, our ability to innovate technologically, the timely supply of products by our contract manufacturers, potential future intellectual property infringement claims that could adversely affect our business and operating results, and our ability to retain our listing on the NASDAQ Capital Market. For a discussion of such risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see "Risk Factors" in the Company's reports on Forms 10-K and 10-Q, as well as other reports that 8x8, Inc. files from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement, and 8x8, Inc. undertakes no obligation to update publicly any forward-looking statement for any reason, except as required by law, even as new information becomes available or other events occur in the future.
NOTE: 8x8, the 8x8 logo, and 8x8 Virtual Office are trademarks of 8x8, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF INCOME|
|(In thousands, except per share amounts; unaudited)|
|Three Months Ended||Six Months Ended|
|September 30,||September 30,|
|Cost of service revenue||5,825||4,059||11,511||7,874|
|Cost of product revenue||2,672||2,613||5,382||4,883|
|Research and development||2,030||1,540||3,856||2,947|
|Sales and marketing||11,010||9,076||21,551||17,260|
|General and administrative||2,070||1,666||4,134||2,891|
|Gain on patent sale||-||-||(11,965||)||-|
|Total operating expenses||23,607||18,954||34,469||35,855|
|Income from operations||2,764||865||17,154||2,471|
|Other income (expense), net||9||(11||)||17||9|
|Income before provision (benefit) for income taxes||2,773||854||17,171||2,480|
|Provision (benefit) for income taxes||1,032||22||6,813||(299||)|
|Net income per share:|
|Weighted average number of shares:|
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS|
|(In thousands, unaudited)|
|September 30,||March 31,|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||38,108||$||22,426|
|Accounts receivable, net||4,153||2,279|
|Deferred tax assets||1,151||7,730|
|Other current assets||1,058||928|
|Total current assets||47,050||35,886|
|Property and equipment, net||7,225||3,820|
|Intangible assets, net||10,908||11,622|
|Deferred tax assets, non-current||53,977||53,977|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Other accrued liabilities||2,438||2,356|
|Total current liabilities||11,911||12,215|
|Total stockholders' equity||130,988||118,450|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' equity||$||144,719||$||130,733|
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF CASH FLOWS|
|(In thousands, unaudited)|
|Six Months Ended|
|Cash flows from operating activities:|
Adjustments to reconcile net income to net cash provided by operating activities:
|Deferred income tax provision (benefit)||6,579||(336||)|
|Changes in assets and liabilities:|
|Accounts receivable, net||(2,050||)||(438||)|
|Other current and noncurrent assets||(258||)||153|
|Deferred cost of goods sold||(3||)||(14||)|
|Accrued taxes and fees||205||(127||)|
|Other current and noncurrent liabilities||1,688||151|
|Net cash provided by operating activities||19,363||3,242|
|Cash flows from investing activities:|
|Purchases of property and equipment||(4,730||)||(1,211||)|
|Acquisition of businesses, net of cash acquired||-||(713||)|
|Net cash used in investing activities||(4,730||)||(1,924||)|
|Cash flows from financing activities:|
|Capital lease payments||(59||)||(247||)|
|Repurchase of common stock||(147||)||(1,038||)|
|Proceeds from issuance of common stock under employee stock plans||1,255||693|
|Net cash provided by (used in) financing activities||1,049||(592||)|
|Net increase in cash and cash equivalents||15,682||726|
Read Full Story
From Our Partners