Sprint continues to pace M2M innovation with its open approach, solutions choice and ecosystem expan
Sprint continues to pace M2M innovation with its open approach, solutions choice and ecosystem expansion across multiple high-growth segments
Sprint M2M portfolio adds new capabilities for automotive, transportation, insurance, retail and other market sectors around the globe
Sprint's leadership includes industry-first core competencies as a systems integrator for automotive in-vehicle communications, and offering turnkey insurance solutions
OVERLAND PARK, Kan.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- With machine-to-machine (M2M) market growth accelerating from fast to blistering, Sprint (NYS: S) is adding even greater impetus to its M2M leadership in 2012. Key actions year to date include:
- Continued development of Sprint's diverse M2M solutions portfolio;
- Further expansion of Sprint's extensive M2M ecosystem capabilities;
- Introduction of industry-first core competencies, both as a systems integrator for automotive in-vehicle communications systems, and providing end-to-end, turnkey usage-based insurance (UBI) solutions; and,
- Wide-reaching enhancement of Sprint's global M2M capabilities through its collaboration with Orange Business Services and other relationships around the world.
Telecom, media and technology experts at Analysys Mason predict the global market for M2M connections will grow to 2.1 billion devices in 2021, from 100.4 million devices in 2011.
Sprint reputation for innovation grows, as global M2M capabilities expand
"For more than a dozen years, Sprint has been at the forefront of M2M breakthroughs and has helped coordinate opportunities for developers and business partners to power their innovative M2M products on its network," said Matt Carter, president of Global Wholesale and Emerging Solutions -- Sprint. "The company is a technology leader by giving the customer the service they want, when and where they need it. This includes developing entirely new, industry-first core competencies as a systems integrator for the automotive industry and provider of turnkey insurance solutions."
Innovation:Sprint recently announced examples of how it teams with innovative companies on M2M solutions, such as VendScreen, a touch-and-swipe interface for vending machine companies; Live U, which offers a broadcast quality, video-over-cellular solution for live video transmissions; and how it uses Cernium's CheckVideo solution to meet the video surveillance needs of Georgetown County (S.C.) Water and Sewer District.
Accolades: This year Sprint has earned honors for its M2M execution from noted independent entities:
- A Gold Value Chain award was presented to Sprint, Pro-Transport-1 and Feeney Wireless in the transportation category by Connected World magazine in July 2012. Mobile Innovations LLC, Sprint, Telit Wireless Solutions and Connected Development won a Bronze Value Chain Award in the home health category.
- In September 2012, Connected World named Sprint to the 2013 CW 100 list of the most important and influential providers of M2M services. Sprint has received this annual recognition for nine consecutive years.
Global Capability: Sprint also is collaborating with multiple international carriers to address global customer requirements. One example is Orange Business Services, which helps to expands global M2M connectivity for Sprint customers across 180 countries. Businesses can more easily take their operation nearly anywhere in the world, reducing complexity by working with a single point of contact to provide a unified, cost-effective solution to meet domestic and international connectivity needs.
2012 marks significant milestones for Sprint's M2M strategy
Sprint has a sharp focus on launching solutions for high-growth opportunities, including automotive, usage-based insurance, transportation, retail, energy, security and healthcare. Major developments during the year include:
Automotive: Chrysler Group LLC and Sprint recently announced their collaboration to develop a new wireless in-vehicle connectivity experience by evolving Uconnect® Access to include a variety of new, easy-to-use connected features and services that are designed to help keep drivers focused on the primary driving task. Uconnect Access uses the Sprint Connected Vehicle Platform architecture and delivers built-in vehicle connectivity via embedded wireless technology. Sprint Velocity for Vehicle Manufacturers delivers an affordable, high-quality and customized end-to-end solution to reduce complexity and provide nimble mobile-enabled technology updates, which help generate greater customer loyalty. Uconnect debuts on the 2013 RAM 1500 and SRT Viper.
Usage-Based Insurance:In July, Sprint launched Integrated Insurance Solutions, an end-to-end UBI service designed specifically for the auto insurance industry. It gives insurance carriers the ability to offer customers personalized discounts based on their driving habits. The vehicle is fitted with a small device that easily plugs into the diagnostic port and captures vehicle information and driver behavior data which is transmitted over the Sprint wireless network. A cloud-based system collects, analyzes and scores driver behavior enabling insurance carriers to improve driver risk assessments, reduce costs and improve profitability. Esurance is the first major insurance carrier to offer a solution with Sprint.
Connected Transportation: Sprint has a rich history of serving the fleet and telematics needs of consumers and businesses with a variety of location, navigation and management solutions. Sprint offers a broad portfolio of M2M telematics solutions for business fleets and consumers that increase fuel and worker efficiencies and improve driver safety. Examples include:
- Fleet management services from leading solutions providers are a staple in the Sprint portfolio. These solutions provide businesses with real-time visibility and data for making better informed decisions for their mobile workforce to assist them in achieving increased operational efficiencies, the safety of their mobile workers, regulatory compliance and customer satisfaction.
- Car Connection® by Audiovox is a telematics solution that will utilize Sprint's wireless network in the U.S. Car Connection lets consumers monitor, manage and maintain vehicles' health, fuel usage reports, driving habits, location, and, through an optional technology, even restrict cell phone usage while driving.
- Sprint also offers Agnik's data analytics web-services and platforms including MineDrive™ for the auto insurance industry; MineCar™ targeted at the auto repair industry; MineFleet® for fleet vehicles; and, Vyncs™for monitoring family vehicles.
Retail: With the many innovations emerging to help the retail industry better serve its customers, Sprint is working with a variety of companies to power kiosks, digital signage and vending solutions, such as:
- AOpen America Inc., has recently tested its platforms to be compatible on Sprint's wireless network. This includes its Digital Engine line of media players and WarmTouch all-in-one interactive devices. Each has been certified with a broadband module, antenna and modem control software.
- Earlier this year, AVT Named Sprint as its preferred wireless connectivity provider for its automated retail and smart vending solutions.
Remote Monitoring: In addition, Sprint powers a variety of remote monitoring solutions that meet unique needs across the healthcare, security and smart grid/energy industries, including:
- Sprint teams with Metrum Technologies, LLC, Power Insight and Tollgrade Communications, Inc. to help electric utilities improve the efficiency of distribution and management systems, essentially making the smart grid smarter. Metrum's entire line of smart meters is available with Sprint wireless connectivity, and Tollgrade offers Medium Voltage (MV) sensors with Sprint wireless connectivity to provide fault detection and location, asset management, load monitoring and power quality information for utilities in urban and rural locations. Power Insight recently earned Sprint network certification to provide energy monitoring and control service gateway for residential, lite commercial building automation platforms and vending kiosks.
- As announced earlier this year, to provide enterprises, fleet owners, government agencies and other organizations with more choices in asset protection, Sprint has expanded its portfolio of products from Omnilink, an award-winning provider of location-based services (LBS) and platforms. The Omnilink Asset Tracking solution operates on the Sprint wireless networks and offers a unique, out-of-the box tool for tracking assets at risk for theft or damage.
- The Uplink CDMA Alarm Communicator powered by Sprint is an advanced M2M security solution delivers residential and commercial customers the confidence of using secure CDMA technology for their primary or back-up wireless alarm communications.
- IDEAL LIFE and Sprint unveiled a new cellular pod that will make it easier than ever for users to manage wellness and monitor chronic conditions remotely. The pod debuted earlier this year and uses M2M communication to share information over Sprint's wireless network.
Sprint's open approach to platform providers
For many developers and innovators, the end-to-end process of bringing an embedded device or application to market can be daunting. There are a number of companies that offer a wide variety of managed services and can support them through the entire process -- from deployment to lifecycle management to customer experience. Unlike competitors, Sprint works with several platform providers in order to be certain it can meet the varied needs of its customers and help them quickly and cost-effectively bring their ideas from concept to market. Examples include:
- M2M DataSmart, with which Sprint teams to target entrepreneurial start-ups, traditional brick-and-mortar OEMs and virtual service provider companies to take an idea from concept to completion and enter the lucrative M2M arena to drive the future of cellular data solutions. M2M DataSmart provides volume pricing on unit one, with simple month-to-month customer agreements, no early termination fees and access to its M2M device management/usage portal, providing network coverage tools, device launch features, and easy engagement processes - everything an emerging M2M company needs to get started. M2M DataSmart makes M2M simple.
- Modus Group, LLC develops a variety of wireless and software solutions, and offers full-service account management to corporate enterprise, education, public service, and general business sectors. Modus specializes in wireless device management and procurement solutions, usage-based insurance and fleet management solutions, as well as wireless wide area networking services, including digital screen media solutions. These solutions provide customers with the tools to deliver quality service, manage their devices, and collect revenues faster. With more than 15 years of nationwide sales and support services to the telecommunications industry, Modus' sales team will customize and tailor solutions to meet individual needs.
- Wyless' resilient platform provides secure, reliable communications with wireless devices in over 120 countries. Powerful management tools offer real-time reporting and control over all devices connected to the network. Wyless delivers a comprehensive suite of managed services with unrivalled expertise, professional support and competitive pricing to enable customers and partners to deploy M2M applications and services faster, cheaper and more effectively.
Sprint also teams with Aeris and Numerex for Direct Communications Services (DCS).
About the Sprint Emerging Solutions Group
Sprint is at the forefront of this wireless industry revolution, teaming with and supporting a large and diverse portfolio of innovative companies to create smarter wireless solutions that change the way people work and live. Sprint offers a hands-on, interactive lab in Burlingame, Calif., where ideas, knowledge and technology unite to produce wirelessly enabled M2M concepts and products. The Sprint Command Center allows businesses with Sprint wireless-connected products the ability to manage, activate and deactivate each device via a Web-based portal. To learn more about Sprint's M2M offerings, visit www.sprint.com/m2m.
Sprint Network Leadership
The Network Vision initiative is designed to enhance customers' network experience with faster data speeds, improved voice quality and easier connectivity. Sprint expects the Network Vision improvements to be mostly complete by the end of 2013.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel served more than 56 million customers at the end of the second quarter of 2012 and is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including the first wireless 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; offering industry-leading mobile data services, leading prepaid brands including Virgin Mobile USA, Boost Mobile, and Assurance Wireless; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. The American Customer Satisfaction Index rated Sprint No. 1 among all national carriers in customer satisfaction and most improved, across all 47 industries, during the last four years. Newsweek ranked Sprint No. 3 in its 2011 Green Rankings, listing it as one of the nation's greenest companies, the highest of any telecommunications company. You can learn more and visit Sprint at www.sprint.com or www.facebook.com/sprint and www.twitter.com/sprint.
 Source: Analysys Mason, M2M device connections, revenue and ARPU: worldwide forecast 2011-2021; May 2012
KEYWORDS: United States North America Kansas
The article Sprint continues to pace M2M innovation with its open approach, solutions choice and ecosystem expansion across multiple high-growth segments originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2012 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.