F5's New Hardware Platform Helps Customers Consolidate Dynamic Application Services
F5's New Hardware Platform Helps Customers Consolidate Dynamic Application Services
BIG-IP®4200v addresses organizations' requirements to deliver more complex application services, increase web content security, and lower the cost of managing applications
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- F5 Networks, Inc. (NASDAQ:FFIV), the global leader in Application Delivery Networking (ADN), today announced the BIG-IP® 4200v hardware platform. This new appliance offers leading performance to support the consolidation of IT services for mid-sized enterprises facing high traffic volumes, as well as cloud organizations and service providers. In addition, the platform provides enhanced SSL processing capabilities, helping customers improve security while increasing server capacity and reducing overall systems costs.
"With F5's versatile Application Delivery Controllers, customers can perform a growing number of valuable IT functions in the network," said Jason Needham, VP of Core Traffic Management and Cloud Solutions at F5. "The 4200v is a purpose-built hardware device with the processing power to support multiple application delivery services, offload SSL processing, and efficiently scale on a unified solution platform. With competitors, organizations would need to deploy multiple point products to add ADN services, further increasing infrastructure complexity and costs."
According to Gartner Executive Programs' Amplifying the Enterprise: The 2012 CIO Agenda1, two of the top CIO strategies for this year include: "Developing or managing a flexible infrastructure" (#3) and "Reducing the cost of IT" (#2). With F5's new hardware offering, organizations can seamlessly combine multiple services—such as traffic management, high availability, SSL offloading, security, access control, and acceleration—on a single device. This comprehensive approach helps customers scale systems to meet their needs while minimizing costs and management concerns.
F5's intelligent and adaptive ADN platforms support all types of IT environments—including traditional data centers, cloud resources, and virtualization solutions. Highlights and performance metrics of the new BIG-IP 4200v hardware platform include:
- Leading Application Layer Performance in Class -The 4200v delivers 850,000 layer 7 requests per second, offering industry-leading performance among mid-range Application Delivery Controller platforms. By providing a high-performance appliance in this range, F5 offers a comprehensive ADN solution that meets the demanding traffic management, security, and optimization needs of mid-sized enterprises and other organizations supporting multiple applications and services. The ability to process more requests per second at the application layer enables the 4200v to make intelligent decisions based on business policies, such as inspecting application payloads and removing confidential information.
- Enhanced SSL Performance for Added Security - The 4200v provides 9,000 SSL TPS for 2K Keys and 8 Gbps of bulk SSL throughput performance, up to 4x what competitors can offer. With these SSL processing levels, organizations can easily encrypt all types of data transfers—not just login and financial transactions—without sacrificing overall performance. The hardware platform's SSL processing capabilities can also offload CPU-intensive tasks from application servers, freeing up additional capacity and reducing the cost of managing SSL certificates.
- Hardware Compression for Optimized Operations - Reducing the amount of data through compression technologies helps optimize applications, especially over limited-bandwidth networks. By offloading compression from application servers with dedicated hardware, the 4200v reduces server load and mitigates the need to add more servers to scale IT services. The 4200v also boasts the highest compression throughput of any Application Delivery Controller in its class—2x that of the nearest competitor—through its use of hardware compression.
- Leading Performance per Watt for Reduced Energy Costs -With its 80 PLUS Gold Certified high efficiency power supplies—a first in its class—the 4200v delivers leading performance per watt, at 3x that of the nearest competitor. This means less power use, lower cooling requirements, and reduced data center costs.
"Many organizations deploy multiple solutions to manage, optimize, and secure their growing mix of web applications," said Bruce Hampton, Chief Technical Architect at Milestone Systems. "The BIG-IP 4200v provides a new way for us to help our customers combine availability, traffic management, security, optimization, and other application services while keeping complexity and costs down. Within F5's breadth of offerings, we're excited to add this new carrier-grade hardware solution for enterprises and service providers."
"IT teams are continuously seeking new ways to cut costs and simplify operations," said Zeus Kerravala, Principal Analyst at ZK Research. "For many organizations, this means moving from traditional data centers to a more dynamic approach that takes advantage of virtualization and cloud resources. With F5's solution portfolio, customers can look at hardware solutions for maximum performance and reliability, as well as virtualized or hybrid deployments for added cost savings and resource efficiency."
1Gartner, Inc. "Amplifying the Enterprise: The 2012 CIO Agenda," January 2012
- BIG-IP 4200v Hardware Platform - SlideShare Presentation
- BIG-IP Hardware - Product Information Page
- BIG-IP Hardware - Datasheet
The BIG-IP 4200v hardware platform is generally available now. Please contact a local F5 office for availability in specific countries.
About F5 Networks
F5 Networks, Inc., the global leader in Application Delivery Networking (ADN), helps the world's largest enterprises and service providers realize the full value of virtualization, cloud computing, and on-demand IT. F5® solutions help integrate disparate technologies to provide greater control of the infrastructure, improve application delivery and data management, and give users seamless, secure, and accelerated access to applications from their corporate desktops and smart devices. An open architectural framework enables F5 customers to apply business policies at "strategic points of control" across the IT infrastructure and into the public cloud. F5 products give customers the agility they need to align IT with changing business conditions, deploy scalable solutions on demand, and manage mobile access to data and services. Enterprises, service and cloud providers, and leading online companies worldwide rely on F5 to optimize their IT investments and drive business forward. For more information, go to www.f5.com.
You can also follow @f5networks on Twitter or visit us on Facebook for more information about F5, its partners, and technology. For a complete listing of F5 community sites, please visit www.f5.com/news-press-events/web-media/community.html.
F5 and BIG-IP are trademarks or service marks of F5 Networks, Inc., in the U.S. and other countries. All other product and company names herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.
This press release may contain forward looking statements relating to future events or future financial performance that involve risks and uncertainties. Such statements can be identified by terminology such as "may," "will," "should," "expects," "plans," "anticipates," "believes," "estimates," "predicts," "potential," or "continue," or the negative of such terms or comparable terms. These statements are only predictions and actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in these statements based upon a number of factors including those identified in the company's filings with the SEC.
KEYWORDS: United States North America Washington
The article F5's New Hardware Platform Helps Customers Consolidate Dynamic Application Services originally appeared on Fool.com.Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Copyright © 1995 - 2012 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.