Just in time for Halloween! The owners of the house that was featured in the 1979 cult classic "The Amityville Horror" have scared up another price chop for their movie-famous home. Originally listed at $1.45 million last year -- then slashed to $1.35 million -- the home is now going for only $955,000.
Clearly, owners Odalys and Jose Fragoso, who bought the Toms River, N.J., colonial in 2001, are keen to get rid of it -- but probably not for the reasons you're thinking.
"My husband and I are getting a divorce," Odalys Fragoso told CNN. "It's not that the house is haunted or anything."
The horror movie, filmed at the Odalys' home, was based on the real-life story of the Lutz family, who bought an allegedly haunted house in Amityville, on New York's Long Island, in 1975. Thirteen months before the Lutzes moved in, a man named Ronald DeFeo Jr. had shot and killed six members of his family at the house. According to the Lutzes, they were victim to demonic, paranormal activity inside the home and left after living there for only 28 days.
The Odalys' home was used as a double in the horror film, and to this day, dozens of fans continue to show up at the home's doorstep to take pictures and ask questions, according to CNN.
New Amityville Horror: Yuppie Tourists
'Killer' Digs: Who Lives in Famous Murder Homes Now
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
See celebrity real estate.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 1.99% APR.
- Rates Could Rise After the Fed Meets. Lock in Now.
- If You're Current or Former Military, You'd Better Read This
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- 0% APR Card Offer Now Lasts Until 2023
- Want To Travel Practically Free? Get This Card Now
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for October 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap