Citrix Advances Cloud Strategy with New Version of XenServer
Citrix Advances Cloud Strategy with New Version of XenServer
Cloud Integrations and Live Storage Migration Augment Citrix Virtualization Platform
SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Citrix today announced the latest version of Citrix XenServer®, an industry-leading virtualization platform for companies to create and manage virtual infrastructures for servers, desktops and clouds. XenServer 6.1 strengthens its server virtualization feature set for datacenter consolidation and simplifies the path to cloud computing with advanced virtual machine migration, enhanced networking and security, increased vendor compatibility and automated virtual machine conversion tools.
XenServer is a complete server virtualization platform built on the powerful open-source Xen hypervisor. Xen technology is widely acknowledged as the fastest and most secure virtualization software in the industry and is designed for efficient management of Windows® and Linux® virtual servers, delivering cost-effective server consolidation and business continuity. XenServer adds a rich set of management and automation capabilities, cloud management integrations and security enhancements to optimize the platform for the cloud-enabled datacenter of the future.
New features in the latest version of XenServer include:
- Enhanced Integration with Leading Cloud Platforms: Direct integration with Apache CloudStack and Citrix CloudPlatform, powered by Apache CloudStack, make it easy to partition firewalls, balance workloads and prevent attacks on systems in both public and private cloud environments -enhancing security and scalability for companies of all sizes.
- "Shared Nothing" Storage Migration: XenServer now features an all new StorageXenMotion® technology that lets IT freely move running virtual machines without the need for shared storage. With the new Storage XenMotion feature, live migration occurs using a "shared nothing" architecture where the storage used for the virtual disks can be moved freely within and across pools for optimized storage utilization, simplified backup and serviceability -- to deliver true VM agility in the cloud.
- Batch Conversion from VMware to XenServer: XenServer Conversion Manager is a simple tool to automate batch conversions of VMware virtual machines into XenServer virtual machines for companies looking to maximize cost and performance. This tool will enable customers to ensure that they are using the best virtualization platform for their chosen applications in the datacenter and in the cloud.
XenServer is the virtualization platform for many of the world's largest production virtual desktop and cloud computing environments and was recently positioned by Gartner, Inc. in the leaders quadrant of the "2012 Magic Quadrant for x86 Server Virtualization Infrastructure," and was listed as a "Champion" and "Value Leader" in Info-Tech Research Group's Vendor Landscape report on server virtualization. The free edition of XenServer has been downloaded nearly one million times. XenServer powers over 100,000 Citrix customers, four of the top five largest hosting provider public clouds and runs workloads in over half of the businesses in the Fortune 500.
Peder Ulander, vice president of product marketing, Cloud Platforms Group, Citrix
"Citrix has gained a significant foothold in the cloud computing space with XenServer and more recently Citrix CloudPlatform (powered by Apache CloudStack). XenServer is already the most widely deployed virtualization platform in large public clouds today. The tight integration between XenServer and CloudPlatform demonstrated in XenServer 6.1 will provide a new level of manageability and security that will provide a strategic advantage for our cloud customers."
XenServer 6.1 is available today for download and is delivered in four product versions - free, Advanced, Enterprise and Platinum. All versions of XenServer include XenCenter management and are available on a simple per server licensing structure with premium editions starting at $1000 per server.
XenServer Master Class - Quick Start Webinar
Join us for a live Webinar on Oct 9th to walk through a live installation of XenServer 6.1 and see some of the hot new features in action. Register here.
- Announcement: Citrix XenServer to Power 1&1 Internet Global Cloud Platform
- Announcement: Citrix Positioned in the Leaders Quadrant of the 2012 Magic Quadrant for x86 Server Virtualization Infrastructure
- Expert Blog: XenServer - We are the Champions!
- Expert Blog: Beware of Open Washing - Three Key Questions To Ask Your Software Vendor
Follow us Online
About Apache CloudStack
Apache CloudStack is an open source cloud computing platform currently undergoing incubation at The Apache Software Foundation (ASF). Incubation is required of all newly accepted projects. While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.
Citrix (Nasdaq: CTXS) transforms how businesses and IT work and people collaborate in the cloud era. With market-leading cloud, collaboration, networking and virtualization technologies, Citrix powers mobile workstyles and cloud services, making complex enterprise IT simpler and more accessible for 260,000 organizations. Citrix products touch 75 percent of Internet users each day and it partners with more than 10,000 companies in 100 countries. Annual revenue in 2011 was $2.21 billion. Learn more at www.citrix.com.
This release contains forward-looking statements which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. The forward-looking statements in this release do not constitute guarantees of future performance. Those statements involve a number of factors that could cause actual results to differ materially, including risks associated with the impact of the global economy and uncertainty in the IT spending environment, revenue growth and recognition of revenue, products and services, their development and distribution, product demand and pipeline, economic and competitive factors, the Company's key strategic relationships, acquisition and related integration risks as well as other risks detailed in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Citrix assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking information contained in this press release or with respect to the announcements described herein.
The development, release and timing of any features or functionality described for our products remains at our sole discretion and is subject to change without notice or consultation. The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not a commitment, promise or legal obligation to deliver any material, code or functionality and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions or incorporated into any contract.
Citrix® and XenServer® are trademarks or registered trademarks of Citrix Systems, Inc. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
KEYWORDS: United States North America California