For months, presidential contenders Barack Obama and Mitt Romney have honed their political messages in debates and rallies, speeches and press conferences. But while the candidates and their political operative have both been quick to criticize the opposite side, they still haven't gone head to head on the public stage. Starting Wednesday, October 3, however, that will change, as the two will meet at the University of Denver in the first of three public debates. The focus of Wednesday's face-off will be the economy.
Presidential debates tend to be fluffy bits of political theater, full of sound and fury but promising little in terms of new policies or talking points. But for all their shortcomings, they are also among the most dramatic parts of an election season, moments when voters get to see the two halves of their ballot face each other across a stage and put their competing visions on the table.
So the question is, what do you hope to hear in Wednesday's debate? Do you want to hear the candidates talk about jobs or real estate, taxes or healthcare? Do you hope to hear about new plans for averting the fiscal cliff or funding education or revitalizing America's infrastructure? When the candidates speak, is there anything that they can say that will seal your vote, or have you already made your choice? In short, do the debates matter to you?
If you have any strong feelings or concerns about the debates, let us know! E-mail me your comments at firstname.lastname@example.org, or respond in the comment section below. As we continue to write on this topic, we may include your thoughts in a future DailyFinance, AOL Jobs or AOL Real Estate story!
Bruce Watson is a senior features writer for DailyFinance. You can reach him by e-mail at email@example.com, or follow him on Twitter at @bruce1971.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out Of Pocket?
- Recalculate Your House Payment in Minutes
- Can You Save $23,000 By Refinancing Your Home?
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Mind-Blowing Cards for Those with Excellent Credit
- 6 Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards Of 2022
- Want to Travel Practically Free? This Card Is For You