Ever heard the phrase "you live in a zoo"? Renters in one New York City apartment apparently took that a little too literally.
On Friday, NYPD officers reportedly found 13 exotic animals -- including a tarantula, two alligators, two bearded dragons, five pythons and a boa constrictor -- living inside fish tanks in an apartment in a public housing complex in Brooklyn (pictured above).
Police were at the apartment to serve an unrelated search warrant when they discovered the creepy menagerie. Officials from Animal Care and Control were called to remove the animals, some of them potentially deadly. In New York City, it's illegal to house exotic animals inside public housing projects.
Those weren't the only intimidating animals in the apartment, neighbors said. The tenants of the apartment also had at least three large pit bulls, a neighbor told DNAinfo.com.
"There's urine and feces in the hallway, and nine times out of 10, it was them," said downstairs neighbor, Klein Poe, of the dogs.
Poe, who has two young children, and other neighbors suspected that something was awry with the animal-owning tenants when they wouldn't allow maintenance workers into their apartment to fix leaky pipes.
"They didn't want to let them in," Poe told DNAinfo. "Now it all makes sense."
Listing Fails: The Best of the Worst in Real Estate
Sinkholes and Roaches and Snakes, Oh My!
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Find homes for rent in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- Don't Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- The 3 Best Options To Borrow From Yourself
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- Best Travel Credit Cards Of May 2022
- Plan The Trip Of A Lifetime With This Travel Card Bonus
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap