3 Shares Set to Beat the FTSE Today

LONDON -- The FTSE 100 (INDEX: ^FTSE) didn't really move today, hovering around 5,671 points by late afternoon -- just one point up on yesterday's close. The index of blue-chip shares was held back by a 4% fall in BP following further American accusations over the Deepwater Horizon disaster.

But individual constituents of the various FTSE indexes are having a good day, and here are three rising on good news.

Britvic (ISE: BVIC.L)
Britvic shares soared 13.6% to 373.2 pence this morning after the soft-drinks maker announced a merger attempt. A.G. Barr has apparently approached Britvic with a view to forming an all-share merger of the two companies, which would create one of Europe's major soft-drinks firms.

Current Britvic shareholders would own 63% of the merged company, with Barr shareholders holding the remaining 37%. Barr shares also reacted positively, gaining 3.8% to 431.5 pence.

Advanced Medical (ISE: AMS.L)
Wound care specialist Advanced Medical Solutions Group jumped 10% to 76 pence on the release of first-half results, which showed a 52% rise in revenue to 24.8 million pounds, with a whopping 98% rise in adjusted pre-tax profit to 5.4 million pounds. Fully diluted earnings came in at 1.87 pence per share -- 11% up, enabling a 17.2% boost to the interim dividend to 0.17 pence per share.

Chairman Dr. Don Evans said: "Further out, we have a number of exciting developments coming through our R&D pipeline which, combined with further strong progress anticipated in our existing businesses, lead the Board to be very optimistic about our long-term prospects."

Lansdowne Oil & Gas (ISE: LOGP.L)
Shares in Lansdowne Oil & Gas put on 4.4% to 58.5 pence this morning following further news on the Irish offshore Barryroe oil field, of which it owns 20%. Providence Resources holds the majority 80% but only saw a 1% rise to 632 pence.

A reappraisal of the field, which was first discovered back in the 1970s, has added a further 800 million to 1.2 billion barrels, in two new reservoir intervals, to the stocks already discovered.

Despite good news like this, investing in the oil and gas business can be risky, and you need all the help you can get -- which is why we have released the latest Motley Fool report, "How To Unearth Great Oil & Gas Shares." It's free for a limited time, so click here to get your personal copy.

Investing is by no means easy in today's uncertain economy. That's why we've published "Top Sectors for 2012" -- our guide to three favorable industries. This free report will be dispatched immediately to your inbox.

Further Motley Fool investment opportunities:

The article 3 Shares Set to Beat the FTSE Today originally appeared on Fool.com.

Alan does not own any shares mentioned in this article. The Motley Fool has adisclosure policy. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe thatconsidering a diverse range of insightsmakes us better investors. Try any of our Foolish newsletter servicesfree for 30 days.

Copyright © 1995 - 2012 The Motley Fool, LLC. All rights reserved. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.