Back in February, we spotted details concerning Zynga Japan's Montopia, a Pokemon-inspired "collect them all" monster game that then had no apparent timeline for a western release. Now, Zynga has stealthily launched an English version of the game on the Canadian iTunes store, meaning that a US release will likely come within a matter of weeks or even days.
We've had a chance to go hands-on with Montopia, and can confirm many of our predictions from back in February. Aspiring monster trainers will be able to choose their character's gender and name and then set out on individual journeys of varying sizes, using energy and health points to limit a single gameplay session. You'll open treasure chests, collect gem pieces and more along the way, all the while collecting monsters with environmental affinities (your first selection will be to choose from a set of water, fire or grass monsters, as an example).
Monsters come with individual stats and rarity markings, and you'll easily come across duplicates in your path. These duplicates (or even simple "common" monsters that you don't want) can be used to boost the stats of a larger monster through a fusion process, which is actually more than just a bit sad/creepy. That is, you're effectively killing one monster to boost another. We'll continue to examine everything that makes Montopia tick, and will have more complete thoughts on the game in the near future.
In the meantime, if you have access to the Canadian App Store, why not download Montopia for free for yourself and see if this is finally one Pokemon "clone" that can stand up to the original.
Click here to download Montopia on the Canadian iTunes Store --->
What do you think of the idea of Montopia? Have you been able to get your hands on the game? What do you think of it thus far? Sound off in the comments!
- 30-year mortgage rate dips again to 3%. Time for a refinance.
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tradi…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Can you refinance with $0 out of pocket?
- Refinance rates at 2.02% APR. Calculate your rate now
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Cute back-to-school outfits you wouldn’t guess are on Amazon
- Surprise your little one with these fun PAW Patrol toys before the mov…
- Cannabis-friendly parenting: Are ‘420 moms’ the new ‘wine moms’?
- 0% APR Card Offer Now Lasts Until 2023
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- Make Money Moves With These Cards in 2021