By John Riha
If you're surrounded by urban grey but long for some backyard green, have we got a lot for you.
"Timeshare Backyard," an empty lot in lower Manhattan, has been transformed into a rentable backyard by a consulting firm called The Participation Agency.
For $50 per hour (2-hour minimum), lawn-starved city folk can gather up to 30 friends and family for a good old suburban-style summer get-together, complete with barbecue grills, lounge chairs, squirt guns, and a potty station. Add-ons, such as a kiddie wading pool, are extra ($200).
Consider it the latest evolution in the history of outdoor entertaining.
Video: Backyards for Rent in New York City
It's a welcome relief from squeezing onto an apartment terrace or hanging out at the bars, and it's healthy, too. A home life study by UCLA that linked clutter and depression found that a lack of outdoor leisure time leads to elevated stress and high levels of cortisol -- a hormone that contributes to fatigue and impaired cognitive functions.
Unfortunately, even people with backyards don't take full advantage of the outdoor spaces they have. The UCLA study goes on to say that homeowners who dress up their backyards with patios and decks simply don't take advantage of the stress relief that's close at hand.
For those who see the sunlight, however, but don't have ready access to a swath of green grass, RentThisYard.com provides a database of rentable yards across the country. There's even "umbrella insurance" for rainouts.
So grab your Hula Hoop and a couple of cold ones, and get renting.
This article originally appeared on HouseLogic.
See more on HouseLogic:
7 Deadly Sins of Homeownership
How to Clean Up Your Garden for Fall and Winter
Plumbing Pipe: Which Is Safest, Easiest, Best?
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 2.06% APR. Can you save?
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- 4 Cards Charging 0% Interest Until Nearly 2023
- Fly Practically Free With These 5 Travel Cards
- Best Credit Cards of 2021. We did the research. Find a better card now
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program