By Jason Lange
A gauge of future U.S. economic activity improved in July on a drop in new claims for jobless benefits and an increase in housing permits, although the reading still pointed to sluggish growth ahead.
The Conference Board said on Friday its Leading Economic Index climbed 0.4 percent to 95.8, reversing a 0.4 percent decline in June.
Analysts surveyed by Reuters had forecast the index would rise 0.2 percent in July.
Fewer jobless claims last month was the biggest driver in the increase of the index, the Conference Board said. Also, building permits jumped during the month, which could point to more construction down the road.
Strong retail sales during July has boosted the view that economic growth will pick up in the second half of the year but remain lackluster. Growth and hiring were disappointing in the spring, boosting expectations the Federal Reserve could unleash more economic stimulus.
%Gallery-154210%"The indicators point to slow growth through the end of 2012," said Ken Goldstein, an economist at the Conference Board.
"However, back-to-school sales are better than expected, suggesting that the consumer is starting to come back," he said.
- Latest mortgage news: Rates pushing toward 7%
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Use The Equity In Your Home To Get The Cash You Need
- The Truth Behind Jeffrey Dahmer’s Brutal Fate In Prison Is Revealed
- Chicago Fire Star Taylor Kinney Had A Surprising Upbringing That Most …
- Poignant Photos Of Queen Elizabeth's Funeral That Will Go Down In Hist…
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2022: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Daydreaming about that colorful Acne Studios scarf? Amazon has an a…
- My parents say this 3-in-1 charging station is the most useful gift I’…
- TikTok found a $19 dupe for Lululemon’s Everywhere Belt Bag: ‘You can’…
- 5 Best Cash Back Credit Cards For 2022
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- 3 Cards That Can Help You Take Your Dream Vacation