By Erika Riggs
For many years, the Poplar Point lighthouse was the beacon guiding ships in Wickford Harbor, a protected inlet in Rhode Island's Narragansett Bay. Built in 1831, the structure -- listed as the oldest wooden lighthouse in America -- is left over from the era before satellites and GPS. And now, it's for sale for $6.45 million.
Because of the size of the harbor, Poplar Point lighthouse wasn't in service long. In 1882, the lighthouse was darkened and later sold at auction for $3,944.67 in 1894.
When the lighthouse was first built, the caretaker's living area was a stone cottage, measuring just 40 by 20 feet. The home was slightly expanded in 1932, again in 1966, and when the current owners took over in 1987, they undertook the task of continuing to expand and renovate the entire property.
Today, the home in North Kingstown, R.I., is more than a stone caretaker's cottage: It's a full estate measuring 4,563 square feet with four bedrooms, 4.5 bathrooms, a detached guest house and garage. Although completely updated, the home still retains much of the original feel, says listing agent Judith Chase.
"It still has tons of the old charm and nautical detail of the old lighthouse," Chase explained.
Spanning 1.66 acres on a private peninsula, the home juts into the harbor with spectacular views of the bay.
"It's a beautiful front-row seat to everything that happens," Chase said.
The home's location in the picturesque town of Wickford only adds to the property's appeal.
Chase describes Wickford as a "darling Nantucket-type town," and the home is within walking distance of many of the town's charms.
According to Zillow's mortgage calculator, a monthly payment on the lighthouse would be $23,044, assuming a 20 percent down payment on a 30-year fixed mortgage.
See more at Zillow:
Rockefeller Stable Turned Townhouse for Sale (VIDEO)
Former Monastery Is Most Expensive Listing in Annapolis
Mary Kay's Big Pink Mansion for Sale
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Find homes for rent in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate, or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebookand Pinterest.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 1.93% APR.
- Rates Could Rise After the Fed Meets. Lock in Now.
- If You're Current or Former Military, You'd Better Read This
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- 6 Reasons We Call This The Best Cash Back Card of 2021
- Say Goodbye to Debt: 0% intro APR until 2023
- Making a Big Purchase Soon? These Cards Are For You
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap