Earlier this week, we brought you a preview of MonkeyOokey Jigsaw Puzzle, Nexon's iPad-only free-to-play jigsaw puzzle game that combines original artwork with images from the company's hottest games: MapleStory, Vindictus, Dungeon Fighter and more. Now that we've had a chance to go hands-on with this colorful game, we're a bit disappointed at how quickly the "free-to-play" experience runs out.
While MonkeyOokey Jigsaw Puzzle has dozens of individual puzzles to complete, you'll only be able to finish four of five before hitting the paywall. Puzzles vary in difficulty by containing different numbers of pieces (anywhere from 20 to 210 pieces per puzzle) and different time limits, and puzzles are then "priced" accordingly to require a specific number of stars before you begin. When you first download the game, you'll be given 100 stars to unlock puzzles for free, but many of the game's branded puzzles require 30 stars to unlock, which just doesn't seem, well, fair.
Stars can be purchased in bulk using real money, with 700 stars being available for $0.99. That's not a terrible price, all things considered, but I would have personally felt more comfortable about spending real money had the initial offering of free content not been so small.
As for the puzzles themselves, you'll earn points for each piece you correctly place and can earn combo points for correctly placing pieces in rapid succession. Some puzzles require you to rotate pieces to their proper orientation, which is accomplished via a double-tap on the screen. All of this works well, with basic tap and drag gameplay allowing you to organize puzzle pieces for later use, or to search for just the outside border pieces of a puzzle, if that's how you like to begin.
When you complete your first puzzle, you'll be given a chance to create a username that will show up on the game's leaderboards, allowing you to compare your scores with other players, and you can replay any puzzle you've purchased for free to earn a better score. You can also customize these replay experiences further by altering the number of puzzle pieces, making them easier or more difficult than the default template.
All told, MonkeyOokey Jigsaw Puzzle performs well technically, with bright, colorful graphics and lovely artwork from popular Nexon games. However, you shouldn't go in expecting this to be a truly free-to-play experience, as you'll likely wind up paying at least a buck on the game if you fall in love with the style.
Click here to download MonkeyOokey Jigsaw Puzzle on iPad --->
Have you tried MonkeyOokey Jigsaw Puzzle? What do you think of Nexon's take on the jigsaw puzzle genre? Sound off in the comments!
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Walmart’s epic Deals for Days sale is finally here — and these 20 d…
- Everything you need to know about Brooklinen’s alternative Prime Day s…
- Dad’s impression of Elmo is spot-on, and his baby is totally here for …
- Want To Travel Practically Free? (Get 100k points fast)
- Do You Know the Fastest Way to Pay Off Credit Card Debt?
- Pay No Interest Until Nearly 2023 With A Better Credit Card