By Dina Spector
Gary, Ind., was once the center of American steel production. Movie theaters, department stores and restaurants were part of the fabric of a bustling industrial city. Now Gary is a ghost town.
Broadway Avenue in downtown Gary, formerly a commercial hub of the community, is a strip of vacant buildings and empty sidewalks. The city is plagued by high unemployment, crime and a shrinking population.
Gary was founded in 1906 for the workers of the United States Steel Corporation. The population peaked at around 180,000 in 1960. Eventually, overseas competition led to massive layoffs. White flight to the suburbs further depressed the city.
Today, there are about 80,000 people living in Gary. The city lost around 25 percent of inhabitants in the last decade alone.
Photographer Sylvain Margaine documented the decay of Gary in 2006. The pictures are featured on his site, Forbidden Places. Although recently there has been some effort to revive Gary, including economic incentives for technology companies, the photographs depict the struggles of a city on the edge of collapse.
See more at Business Insider:
9 Celebrities Who are Living With a Disease
QUIZ: Do You Know What These Secret Codes Mean?
The World's Oldest People Reveal the Secrets to a Long Life
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
See celebrity real estate.
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- The Best States to Retire in 2022
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Turn Your Home Equity Into Cash Before a Recession
- Use The Equity In Your Home To Get The Cash You Need
- Home Equity Surges: Compare Home Equity Loans
- Age 62+? Take this Quiz to Qualify for a Home Equity Conversion
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps New Home Buyers Qualify to Buy
- 5 Best Cash Back Credit Cards For 2022
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- 3 Cards That Can Help You Take Your Dream Vacation
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold