By Dina Spector
Gary, Ind., was once the center of American steel production. Movie theaters, department stores and restaurants were part of the fabric of a bustling industrial city. Now Gary is a ghost town.
Broadway Avenue in downtown Gary, formerly a commercial hub of the community, is a strip of vacant buildings and empty sidewalks. The city is plagued by high unemployment, crime and a shrinking population.
Gary was founded in 1906 for the workers of the United States Steel Corporation. The population peaked at around 180,000 in 1960. Eventually, overseas competition led to massive layoffs. White flight to the suburbs further depressed the city.
Today, there are about 80,000 people living in Gary. The city lost around 25 percent of inhabitants in the last decade alone.
Photographer Sylvain Margaine documented the decay of Gary in 2006. The pictures are featured on his site, Forbidden Places. Although recently there has been some effort to revive Gary, including economic incentives for technology companies, the photographs depict the struggles of a city on the edge of collapse.
See more at Business Insider:
9 Celebrities Who are Living With a Disease
QUIZ: Do You Know What These Secret Codes Mean?
The World's Oldest People Reveal the Secrets to a Long Life
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
See celebrity real estate.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 1.99% APR. Can you save?
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Cards Charging 0% Interest Until Nearly 2023
- You Could Earn 100K Points With This Astonishing Travel Card
- Get Financially Fit with these Credit Cards
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program