How do you unload a $3.175 million five-bedroom, seven-bathroom French-style estate in New Jersey in the throes of a housing crisis? Appeal to French aristocrats, of course.
In one of the most bizarre craigslist ads we've ever seen, B.T. Edgar real estate agent Naoji Moriuchi points to newly sworn-in Socialist French President Francois Hollande as a reason for the 1 percent of France to flee to the U.S. And where better to flee than Moorestown, N.J.?
In the ad, which Moriuchi hoped would stir up some viral Internet buzz, he attempts to stoke fear in the upper class, claiming that Hollande will impose a 75 percent income-tax rate on the richest French citizens and return the pension age to 60. In order to avoid this millionaire oppression, argues the ad, they should flee to New Jersey.
The house itself is actually quite stunning. It's set on more than 3 acres of a quiet cul-de-sac (French!). It's surrounded by professional landscaping and is close to the center of historic Moorestown. Moriuchi even highlights the 2,000-bottle wine cellar to appeal to French customers.
Until now, the property hasn't had much interest. "I said, 'Have I said anything different than [the other agents] said?' he told Moorestown Patch. "No."
He reached out to Hypno Design for a never-before-done marketing strategy.
"It's kind of a classic Realtor's problem," Hypno creative director Richard Cardona told MoorestownPatch. "How do you distinguish yourself from the other ads out there? ... Everybody has the same bag of tricks, right? It's just kind of outlandish. It kind of makes you do a double-take."
"If you're going to do it, you've got to go big, or don't do it at all," said Moriuchi. "Some people might not like the idea. Some people might [take it the wrong way], and if they do, I'll live with those ramifications. Quite frankly, if they do, it would probably be passed along even more."
So goes the old adage: There's no such thing as bad publicity.
Why Won't Anyone Buy Walt Disney's Childhood Home?
Curb Appeal: 5 Low-Cost Easy Landscaping Tips
Couple Tears Down $4.2 Million Manse for a Better View
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Find homes for rent in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- Don't Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- The 3 Best Options To Borrow From Yourself
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- Best Travel Credit Cards Of May 2022
- Plan The Trip Of A Lifetime With This Travel Card Bonus
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap