Athens may be the birthplace of the Olympics, but it also seems to be the graveyard for the remnants of one Olympics stadium.
The once-vibrant and gorgeous stadium that the ancient city used to host the 2004 Summer Olympics has fallen into ruin -- and we don't mean the awe-inspiring type of ruins that Athens is known for.
Rust and weeds have overtaken the facility, turning it into a nightmarish spectacle and hardly recognizable from its glory days. The impact of the neglect has even caught the eyes of photographers Jon Pack and Gary Hustwit, who have started a project called "The Olympic City," documenting Olympics sites around the world that have gone into decay.
Take a look at the stunning and sad transformation of Athens' Olympics Sports Complex.
Astrodome, World's '8th Wonder,' Lies Abandoned (PHOTOS)
Blueprints of Ebbets Field, Home of Brooklyn Dodgers, on Display
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Find homes for rent in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 2.06% APR. Can you save?
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- 4 Cards With Massive Sign Up Bonuses (Get $200 Fast)
- Ready To Travel Again? These Cards Will Take You There.
- Making a Big Purchase Soon? These Cards Are For You
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program