The developers of the World Trade Center reached a milestone Monday, completing construction on one of the four towers going up there -- the first since the 9/11 attacks, NBC New York reported.
A steel beam was hoisted on top of the 72-story 4 World Trade Center -- the shortest of them all, standing at 977 feet tall -- marking the end of structural construction. The inside of the building is still being worked on.
4 WTC is dwarfed by the site's anchor building, 1 World Trade Center, which will eventually tower 1,776 feet tall. Maki and Associates, the architects behind 4 WTC, told The New York Times that the building was intentionally designed to be understated.
The newly completed building is New York City's sixth-largest skyscraper. It is scheduled to open in 2013, and about half of the building has already been leased to the Port Authority.
Chinese Firm Plans to Build World's Tallest Building, and Fast
Owner of NYC's Rat Island Plans to Leave It a Barren Rock
Look Out for That House! School's Wild Art Installation
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
See celebrity real estate.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 2.02% APR. Can you save?
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Crush Your Debt: Refinance to a 15 yr fixed
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- 6 Cards With Massive Sign Up Bonuses (Get $200 Fast)
- The Fastest Way to Pay off $10,000 in Credit Card Debt
- 4 Cards Charging 0% Interest Until 2023
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program