The world's most towering skyscrapers have usually taken years to build, but one Chinese company thinks it only needs a fraction of that time to erect what could soon be the world's tallest building. Hunan-based Broad Sustainable Building wants to erect a 2,750-foot-tall tower in Changsha -- in only 90 days.
The building, dubbed "Sky City," would beat Dubai's Burj Khalifa, currently the tallest building in the world, by 33 feet. It took five years to build the Burj Khalifa.
BSB is confident that the plan will be approved by the Chinese central government and claims that it can start building in November -- and wrap up by the end of January 2013.
The secret to BSB's quick turnaround? Prefabrication. The company will construct 95 percent of the building at offsite factories before ground is broken on the site for the actual structure.
This isn't the first feat of its kind that BSB has conquered. The company constructed a 30-story hotel in 15 days in December 2011 and a 15-story building in just six days in June 2010.
Sky City will also be environmentally friendly. It's planned to consume just 20 percent of what a conventional building its size normally would. This would be, in part, thanks to extra-thick prefab walls, which are designed to provide energy-saving insulation.
The building will have more than 10 million square feet of floorspace and 104 elevators.
A Balcony With Swimming Pool? To Infinity and Beyond
'Earth-Scraper' Will Get Down in Mexico City -- 65 Stories Deep
Kansas Missile Silo's Luxury Condos Sell Out
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find homes for rent in your area.
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 1.93% APR.
- Rates Could Rise After the Fed Meets. Lock in Now.
- If You're Current or Former Military, You'd Better Read This
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Pay No Interest Until 2023 With A Better Credit Card
- Want To Travel Practically Free? (Get 100k points fast)
- Your Best Credit Card Offers for September 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap